#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2960 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 22 July 2021 - 07:51 PM

Hi Philip! :)

I gave this image a good look.  I found Vega and the rest of the major stars of Lyra first, then figured out Epsilon Lyra.  Expanding the image, it looks like Epsilon is just trying to elongate a little to indicate Epsilon 1 and 2 are there.  Pretty cool for a 300mm photo lens on a regular camera! :)

Next, I went to Deneb, worked my way down through the main stars of Cygnus to Alberio..or at least what I thought should be Alberio without getting out a Star Atlas to make sure.  It was still round, but I am not sure why.  I would think a split would be showing up, unless I was looking at the wrong thing or the B star was too dim for me.

I don't know too much about Altair and its constellation, but I have been straining in an effort to find M71 in Sagitta, with smoke from fires in the western US, humidity, an waxing Moon, etc.  I have been using a Polaris 114 with Meade Plossles, to answer a few questions that I saw on TSS and will write about soon.  I can find Sagitta with binoculars, but not with my eyes.  I think I was on the right stars but not sure I was actually getting the scope on the right spot or that the upside down and backwards state of the view was kicking me, but I simply can not find M-71 so far.  Will wait for the Moon to pass a bit and try again.  I found the four brightest stars of Sagitta in your image.  Where I think M-71 is supposed to be, I see a fuzzy spot!  Again, cool! :)

I was switching back and forth between the regular size image and then clicking on a spot to get the magnified view.....Fun Stuff! :)

Thanks for sharing!

Bill

• Philip Pugh likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Philip Pugh

Philip Pugh

Sir Philip Pugh, AKA Astrochav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1074 posts
  • LocationBased in South West England and Wales

Posted 24 July 2021 - 05:27 AM

Hi Philip! :)

I gave this image a good look.  I found Vega and the rest of the major stars of Lyra first, then figured out Epsilon Lyra.  Expanding the image, it looks like Epsilon is just trying to elongate a little to indicate Epsilon 1 and 2 are there.  Pretty cool for a 300mm photo lens on a regular camera! :)

Next, I went to Deneb, worked my way down through the main stars of Cygnus to Alberio..or at least what I thought should be Alberio without getting out a Star Atlas to make sure.  It was still round, but I am not sure why.  I would think a split would be showing up, unless I was looking at the wrong thing or the B star was too dim for me.

I don't know too much about Altair and its constellation, but I have been straining in an effort to find M71 in Sagitta, with smoke from fires in the western US, humidity, an waxing Moon, etc.  I have been using a Polaris 114 with Meade Plossles, to answer a few questions that I saw on TSS and will write about soon.  I can find Sagitta with binoculars, but not with my eyes.  I think I was on the right stars but not sure I was actually getting the scope on the right spot or that the upside down and backwards state of the view was kicking me, but I simply can not find M-71 so far.  Will wait for the Moon to pass a bit and try again.  I found the four brightest stars of Sagitta in your image.  Where I think M-71 is supposed to be, I see a fuzzy spot!  Again, cool! :)

I was switching back and forth between the regular size image and then clicking on a spot to get the magnified view.....Fun Stuff! :)

Thanks for sharing!

Bill

Hi Bill,

I took this with an 18mm lens but I have bagged Albireo with a 300mm lens and it might be possible with about 120mm. I have had a bad habit of doing all of my shots at 18mm (widest field) or 300mm (greatest magnification). I am learning my lesson and, as I type, I am stacking a few 70mm frames of Melotte 20.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users