5 replies to this topic

#1 Honk

Honk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:43 AM

Hello,

We just received our new ETX-90 and like most fathers, I am trying to impress my family with my awesome knowledge.  However, I cannot figure out how the Autostar Suite software works.  Not well at least.  I really don't understand what I'm looking at, how to use the software, etc.  I cannot find a tutorial of any kind and I was wondering if one exists.  Thanks for your help.

#2 Falcon50

Falcon50

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:31 PM

I would love that as well. However my big problem is that I don't really understand the coordinate system more than anything else. Once I have a handle on that I could figure out the rest. :)

#3 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:46 PM

I dont know of any tutorials available.
If you can give me some specifics ill do my best to answer them 1x1.

Regards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#4 Falcon50

Falcon50

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:45 PM

Thanks,

All I need is a good starting point ...... like when I look straight up in the sky what is my location in space? I know about Polorizing my telescope and I understand the principals behind it, but I am not sure the star I am looking at is Polaris, (aka the North Star). 
Also what is the Zenith in the AutoStar for?
And when I open the AutoStar it starts in a position automatically; is that my location in space with correlation to Earth? :)

#5 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:41 PM

Answers inserted below

All I need is a good starting point ...... like when I look straight up in the sky what is my location in space? I know about Polorizing my telescope and I understand the principals behind it, but I am not sure the star I am looking at is Polaris, (aka the North Star).

Also what is the Zenith in the AutoStar for?Zenith is the point of sky directly over head, so if you look straight up you are looking at your local zenith
And when I open the AutoStar it starts in a position automatically; is that my location in space with correlation to Earth? If you add your location in the parametrs as time zone and long and lat settings when you turn on the program it will displat what you can see in the sky at that given moment.
They also make a planetarium that is basically the sky charts in a very easy to use wheel.
You set the time on the wheel and in a window it will show you what is visable at that time.
Its good to look at both options and learn your bright major stars in any constellation.
This helps a lot when viewing and If you use a goto scope it will let you know what way it will swing with no surprises.

Regards

mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#6 Falcon50

Falcon50

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:00 PM

Thank you,

That helps enormously. I thought that was the caseabout the AutoStar software. Now I can set up my telescope.

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users