• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hshilton

hshilton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:08 AM

I am trying to configure an LX200R 16 for solar observation.  From what I have seen most of the Coronado filters are for telescopes with focal lengths under 3000mm.  any suggestions?

#2 Philip Pugh

Philip Pugh

Sir Philip Pugh, AKA Astrochav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1212 posts
  • LocationBased in South West England and Wales

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:40 PM

To fully use the aperture of a 16" telescope, there won't be a solution from Coronado. You simply can't get full aperture filters that big. I think Marcello Lugli's CromixSun is probably the best bet.

#3 kanders2

kanders2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:34 PM

Recall part of the filter process to to bring light intensity down to safe levels, so a full size 16" filter would be very expensive.  You may be able to get step down off axis, which would increase resolution due to not having secondary mirrior bockage in the field of view.

#4 Fish Cat Fish Dog

Fish Cat Fish Dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:41 PM

To fully use the aperture of a 16" telescope, there won't be a solution from Coronado.

Philip,

What if there was a full aperture Coronado filter for a 16" scope.  Without getting to much into optical theory, what kind of pictures would you expect.  Would that be cool or no better than what is already out there.

#5 Philip Pugh

Philip Pugh

Sir Philip Pugh, AKA Astrochav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1212 posts
  • LocationBased in South West England and Wales

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:19 PM

To fully use the aperture of a 16" telescope, there won't be a solution from Coronado.

Philip,

What if there was a full aperture Coronado filter for a 16" scope.  Without getting to much into optical theory, what kind of pictures would you expect.  Would that be cool or no better than what is already out there.

The result would be absolutely breathtaking but I think we're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars/pounds. Would you like me to put you in touch with Marcello? I'm sure he can give you a solution for less than $10 000.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users