• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mikeifer

mikeifer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:44 PM

I am a beginner. I have been wanting this telescope for a long time. I did my research and thought this one sounded like it would be easiest to use right out of the box. I cannot get it to allign at all. I choose one star alignment choose Sirius and my scope slews towards the eastern sky no problem I think great it is working then it starts to slew up and does not stop until it is at max elevation and the scope is pushing on the mount. I try to slew it down but it will not stop moving when I get the star in the center of the eyepiece. I have done all the train drive steps several times. I am taking the scope doen to my parents for new years and ope I can figure out what I am doing wrong before then.

One other issue. When looking at the moon I try to get it to auto slew and track on the moon but it goes frommbasicly moonrise to moonset in 5 minutes any ideas?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Mike 8)

#2 Tlturner

Tlturner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 12:37 PM

I have the same problem! I got the DS-2114 for the kids for Christmas and took it out for the first time on the 26th. I could not get it to align either. Maybe someone will answer here and help us who are new to the whole thing!

#3 mikeifer

mikeifer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 03:09 PM

sorry to hear your having issues as well, but glad to hear I am not the only one. I went thru the train drive sequence again and now I am waiting for the kid to go to bed, so I can give it another shot. I feel like I just got a new sports car and can not get it out of first gear. Hope we figure it out or here something soon.

#4 autostaretx

autostaretx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:54 PM

> then it starts to slew up and does not stop...

Another thing to try is
Setup/Telescope/Calibrate Motors

That will cause the Autostar to direct the motors to slew for a second,
first right, then up. (hopefully it'll stop after that 1 second)
From those motions it adjusts the LEDs illuminating the encoders,
and that may allow it to -see- that it is making a mistake.

good luck
--dick

#5 Murfmeista

Murfmeista

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:18 AM

I have a different problem, and its not the scope!!! LOL its me! I understand that I have to set the scope at zero (Home pos.) but does the mount have to be set at zero too or do I set it to my time zone -6 or do I just point it north reguardless of the mount setting. The book explains the Dec setting as home and its zero, but I can't find were to set the RA (what I call the mount - sorry ask me a computer question and I'm there, but scopes ehhhhhhhh) LOL other than that - my DS 2114 is a pretty wicked scope!!!

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2953 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 29 December 2007 - 04:27 PM

A few steps that can help.

1.  I have found that it helps to level the mount fisrt.  Just set the little bubble compase on the mount's ledge and adjust the legs until the bubble is centered.

2.  Loosen the bottom bolt and turn the scope until it is pointing, preferably, geographic North.  The compase can show you magnetic North which is OK. Retighten the bottom bolt.

3.  Loosen the altitude knob on the side of the arm and bring the tube to a horizontal position.  I normally set the bubble level on the scope tube and center the bubble.

4.  Turn the mount on and go through the steps for alignment.  Normally, I use the easy alignment option.  The telescope picks two stars.  When it reaches the first one, center the star in the eyepiece.  If the star is not in the original field of view, you can use the red dot finder to center the nearest bright star, the look through the eyepiece.  If you can still not see the star in the eyepiece, you can use the spiral search by pushing the left top button on the handset.  The scope will spiral around in small straight lines.  When you see the star come into view.  Press the sae button again to stop the search.  Center the star in the field with the arrow keys.  Once centered, push the enter button.  The scope will go to the second star and you repeat the process.

Note:  you want to use the 25 or 26mm eyepiece for this operation to get the widest field of view.  It will help you find things easier.

Holler back if this is confusing or if you have other questions.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#7 Guest_garak0410_*

Guest_garak0410_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:04 PM

I have this scope as well and it does not have a LEVEL or compass on it...how can I align it if I can level it? I've even taken it back for an exchange because of no compass and it still didn't come with one. What am I doing wrong?

#8 BABFB

BABFB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:14 PM

This may be a bit tediuos for some, but I am an amature backyard astronomer such as you guys, but I have found this to be the best solution for alignment.

1. Got my location coordinates from Google Earth, and installed them in the AutoStar Location section.

2. Use a carpenters level vertically on the back end of the scope in the HOME position and level the scope.
Then turn the scope 90 degrees, and level the scope with the carpenters level that way. Turn back to HOME position, and it will probably be off a bit. I adjust the tripod to level the scope in these two directions until it is level. A bit trying on your patience, but worth it in the long run.

3. Level compass on top of scope to find North, and turn scope to North. Just line the needle with the centerline of the scope.

4. Turn scope on and select Easy Align, and it works great for me. It helps to be aware of the two "Brightest" stars that AutoStar will look for.

5. If you are fortunate enough to have a soft backyard, I put my tripod in the same points in the ground I used in my last StarGazing session. that is REALLY helpful

KEEP in mind that all of this starts with miticulous alignment of the FinderScope with the Telescope. The RED DOT is EXTREMELY helpful if you take the time to site the scope in properly, and use coordinates of your location. For example, my tripod points in my backyard are at: N30*59' 11.58"-W97*20' 15.56", and when I did that it seemed to make all the difference.

Some may not want to take the time for such things, but I do, and it works.

I hope this helps you guys, because learning to use a mechanized scope can be frustrating. Kinda like a manual one. hehe

Have FUN!

#9 Murfmeista

Murfmeista

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:18 PM

I did as you suggested, but I used a picture level to level my scope. I'll buy a compass tomorrow, but I was able to get close enough to site in orion and see the clouds!!! it was great! now I'm waiting for Saturn to rise and see the rings. Thanks for the help! ;D

#10 mikeifer

mikeifer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:39 AM

Thank you to everyone for the help. I had already done the calibrate motors tried it again no luck. It is raining out now and probabley will be all night so I wont be able to get outside to try anything new. It does seems as though the horizontal is on but when the scope starts to rise it goes past 90 degrees regardless of what I star it is going to.

Could this be a software issue?
Do I have to buy a cable to load updates to autostar?
Should I have too if the fix is something from the factory and not anything I did?

Guess I will have to call the customer service.

#11 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2953 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:39 PM

Something is not quite right.  It may be a contact issue with the cabling, a defective handset or mount.  AutostarETX knows a lot more about that than I do. 

I think there is a reset command in the handset that can be done that may correct the problem if there is some constant that has gone bad somehow.  Since I do not have a setup in front of me with a 494 handset, I cannot tell you exactly where that command is in the menu.  You may be able to find it in the instruction book.  I had one mount do goofy things when I took a really simple EC handset off that came with the mount and put on a 494 handset.  Doing a full reset (suggested by a Meade Representative) cleared up the bad behavior. You will want to have all of your location coordinates or whatever else you have entered written down.  All of those things will have to be re-entered after a full reset.  You will also have to test the motors and train the drives, etc again.

Since this is a new scope, don't fiddle with it too long.  If this does not work and the if the Meade folks do not have any suggestions that help, I would not hesitate in talking to Meade about a replacement. 

What would need to be replaced to cover all of this behavior is a different mount and handset.  The Meade folks are normally pretty willing to do that.

What has happened for me in the past was as follows:  I called and talked to Meade Customer Service, they issued a number (can't remember the specific name for the number), they sent a replacement to me, I swapped out mount and handset (both were in the same box), I called them when things were packed up, Meade had UPS come by and pick up the box.

Whatever you finally work out, please let us know so the information will be here on the boards for anyone else with the same problem.

If you keep having troubles, please keep us posted.  We will scratch our heads some more.  If all else fails, we can at least sympathize!

Hope this helps!

Bill Steen

#12 mikeifer

mikeifer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 05:09 AM

Thanks for the help. I have tried the reset several times no luck. I have a 497 handset I beleive, it has the number pad on it. I will try to call meade today. The scope is grat for what I have been able to use it for, moon mars things I already knw the location for just gets me more excited to see more but adds to my frustration as I cant use all the capabilities.

Thanks Again for all the help.
Mike

#13 ledenda

ledenda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 02:15 PM

Hi there I hope this information help someone out there....

I bought an old DS 2114,  I guess more and more will be put in the second hand market, and I had a slew problem, where the Altitude was not stopping.... and the message on the Hand controller said motor malfunction, here is how I solved it...

The problem is NOT the motor, the message is somehow misleading, the reason is that the encoder is not functioning, therefore the computer does not detect the movement of the motor, and report that the motor is not working, therefore you need to replace the photo transistor, this is the number of the piece Phototransistor L-610MP4BT/BD, please only open the arm, (you do not want to miss adjust anything else) you need to unscrew the big mead symbol ( the one that you have to align with zero) underneath you will find 4 more screws, for the rest follow your heart, and dig on the other big bolts and small pieces...  (is a good idea to grab your phone and take pictures so you know how to reassemble back everything) , once when the arm is open, make a note on the direction of the transistor, as it has like a protuberance or little bar on the head ( of the  transistor), make note on where the transistor is heading, the new transistor will have longer legs just cut them with a nail cutter if you do not have something better, replace the phototransistor using the same orientation. ( as you do not want to burn it) and close the arm. I believe the voltage on the transistor on the computer is slightly higher than the normal operation can take and slowly burns them up, that is why many people is reporting the same problem. Good luck, and again I hope this info will help someone out there...

Best of lucks.  

#14 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2953 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 02:57 PM

Hi Ledenda! 

Welcome to the Forum.

Thank you for the information! :) I am sure it will help someone sometime.

Bill Steen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users