• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 James4

James4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:21 PM

Has anyone had any success imaging Mars, Jupiter, or Saturn using a DSLR?
I tired of bringing the laptop out in the field to run the LPI, and then with Vista it didn't run anyway.

Just wondering what kind of set-up would work (Barlows, Camera Adapter, Eyepiece Projection, etc) for a DSLR on for instance Mars?

James
www.Starchasers.ca

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:03 AM

In theory It will work but for best results you will need to take many images of it then stack them to get good crisp details.

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 Keith4BS

Keith4BS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:55 PM

James,
I had reasonable success last year using a DSLR on Jupiter and Saturn. I consider Mars to be the most difficult of the 3 due to small angular size.
I used a Canon Rebel (EOS350D) on an 8" F6 Newtonian with eyepiece projection (ep). The telescope is an old Meade  with an ep adapter(circa 1980), but the quality is good.
I am attaching 2 images of Jupiter taken in a sequence of 6 over a 33 minute period. They were taken last July when Jupiter was well placed and conditions good from 27 deg South (Australia). I used a Meade 10.5mm eyepiece for ep and it gives me an effective focal length of about 10000mm (prime focus is 1200mm). I think the 20mm eyepiece giving efl of 5000mm would also be suitable. You can see rotation of the Great Red Spot from left to right in the sequence.
The exposure was 1.3 secs at ISO 200. It should be less if the efl is less. Jupiter's diameter is about 320 pixels in the sharpest mode on the EOS350D (pixel size 6.42 micrometers). I did gentle sharpening in PhotoShop using the Unsharp Mask.
I use an LPI as well, but these are my best Jupiter images so far (probably due to the conditions).
I love my EOS350D for deep sky imaging.
Hope this helps, especially with Jupiter and Saturn improving.
  Keith

[attachment deleted by admin]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users