10 replies to this topic

#1 Tom

Tom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:04 PM

I have only been able to get my GPS position on MySky twice since I had it. Otherwise it does not recieve enough or no satelites.

I just tried in a whide open area, but there was a pretty heavy overcast.

Anyone have any idea how sensitive the GPS reciever is in the mysky ???
Tom

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:25 PM

Im not sure on the my sky but even on my garmin GPS it has a hard time aquiring a fix if its cloudy.
Ive found even if there are any steel structures or a lot of foilage on the trees a GPS signal can be hard to recieve.

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 Tom

Tom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:10 AM

Well I tried it in an open feild on a could-less day and it still was unable to aquire its position. It would pik up one or two satelittes and then quicl lose them.

I called Tech support at meade and the are sendingme a replacement unit.
Tom

#4 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:13 PM

Thanks for the info.
Keep me informed.
I know even on my Garmin it can take up to 30 to 40 minutes for it to aquire all of the satellites.
It all depends on their positioning.

Regards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#5 KI6IWX

KI6IWX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:09 AM

30-40 minutes??? Dang!! The longest I've ever had to wait for aquisition was when I brought my GPS to Germany and the Garmin didn't know it was on the other side of the planet - that was about 10-15 minutes tops...

#6 Tom

Tom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:58 AM

My garmin aviation GPS will aquire in less than a Minute usually unless I have traeled over 50 miles without telling it. Even then it wont take more than a minute or two. It even gives me the option to tell it roughly where I am, and it will speed up the process.
Tom

#7 KI6IWX

KI6IWX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:00 AM

I think you'll find that when you get your replacement MySky the aquisition time will be 2-3 minutes at most. I've been running mine through the drill every time I fire it up just to make sure everythings good. I'm also really liking the MySky with version 1.2tc - all the bugs are gone.

My most used Garmin is also an aviation unit - one of the first GPS 296 units. Works great for everything - as it should for what it cost.

#8 Tom

Tom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:38 PM

yeah I figured the Mysky GPS won't have the same performance as a dedicaded GPS
Tom

#9 Tom

Tom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:07 PM

Well the new Mysky came back from Meade today, and I am happy to say that it is working and getting GPS fixes.

It is however still telling me I am in a town that isn't as close as another on its list. But its working :)
Tom

#10 Mr

Mr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for the info.
Keep me informed.
I know even on my Garmin it can take up to 30 to 40 minutes for it to aquire all of the satellites.
It all depends on their positioning.

Regards

Mark

For 2D positioning you need 3 sats.  For 3D, which the mysky would have to use to get the elevation angle, you need 4 satellites.  I don't think it is possible to find a gap in satelite coverage in the US that would give you less than 4 satellites  in the sky. 

Unless the GPS receiver has inherent software problems, that will get you easily enough accuracy for our purposes.  Those other satelites you are getting after 30-40 mins are irrelevant.  Not getting a fix inside 5 mins means either your view is obscured (cloudy possibly) or your GPS is broke.  In the case of mysky, the operating system is the buggy enough to prevent use of the system..

The problem with the mysky is
A) it's a beta product that was released too soon
??? their quality control on software is inadequate
C) Meade is full of clueless stooges.
Pick one or more.

Any way you slice it, a large percentage of myskys were sold that don't function correctly or at all.  For me it's one of several hobbies, so I'll hand it back to my wife and tell her to return my Xmas gift.

#11 Fish Cat Fish Dog

Fish Cat Fish Dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 06:19 PM

I strongly disagree with the statement Posted by: Mr  that "Meade is full of clueless stooges"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users