• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 xanaduobservatory

xanaduobservatory

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:57 PM

Anyone else out there using their RCX for amateur scientific pursuits?
Although I do enjoy using my 14" with an eyepiece, most of the time I have a spectrograph attached to the scope.  It's been a great performer for this purpose. In some cases I have been able to track a faint target for several hours while recording spectral data - one advantage of the fork mount is that the scope can keep tracking through the meridian.
I also hope to do some photometry work with it, but have not started any serious projects in that area yet.  I know one amateur who used an RCX for some exoplanet transit measurements.  I think there are a few asteroid hunters who also use an RCX.
A heavy workload has kept me away from the scope for most of the past couple of months but things will slow down in a couple of weeks, and I have a big spectroscopy project planned after that.
Anyway I'd be interested in hearing from anyone else who might be using their RCX for some backyard science projects.
Wishing you the Clearest of Skies,
Keith Schlottman
Xanadu Observatory
http://www.xanaduobservatory.com

#2 AGENT-ORANGE

AGENT-ORANGE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:29 PM

DEAR XANADU;

I'VE AN OLD 10" LX-5 (OVER 20 YEARS OF DELIGHT), SOMEDAY SOON AN RCX WILL BE MINE TOO.

ANYWHO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR SPECTROGRAPH ON YOU 12".

I'VE BEEN USING THE CRUDEST METHOD IN THE BOOK, BLACK CHIFON STRETCHED OVER MY APPITURE.

HOW ABOUT THOSE BANANNAS.

DAVE NEEDHAM SYLVAN BEACH, NY 

#3 xanaduobservatory

xanaduobservatory

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:45 AM

I hear Meade will be at the SAS Symposium in a few weeks with the 20" RCX, and that a LHIRES III spectrograph might be attached to it...can't wait to see that!!!

Keith Schlottman
Xanadu Observatory
http://www.xanaduobservatory.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users