11 replies to this topic

#1 pilleway

pilleway

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:55 PM

Dear friends:
I'm proud and happy to own a LX90 LNT  Telescope, and have join it every time I do have used it so far.
Durign the usage I have had some questions and for sure this can be the correct place to get some answers to my questions:
1.- How can I kow what software version I do have in my telescope.
2.- The Owners Manual tells me that after I have power on I should have an advice for the Sun warning, I do not get it when I turn the telescope on.
3.- Under Utilities I get a WWVB and do not know what does it mean!
4.- couple of times I aling the Telescope in Automatic I do follow the request to center the brightest star for the first and the second but does not align, after 2 or 3 times I reboot the telescope and follow the automatic aligment process then it is centered.
At this time I think there are some questions and any help will be appreciated.

#2 Hadrian

Hadrian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:41 PM

I assume the software on the LX90 is similar to that of the ETX ?

The sun warning goes away once you have updated the software for the first time.

I'm sure the software version version is located somewhere in the handset menu. I'd have to check.

#3 grahuba

grahuba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:52 AM

#1-Software version is shown in upper right hand corner of display on startup.
#2-Would not worry about getting the sun warning. My brand new LX-90 GPS has never shown a sun warning.                                                                                                                                            #3- Have no idea yet
8" LX-90 GPS

#4 grahuba

grahuba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:00 AM

oops, sorry, hit enter by mistake. And #4 Sounds like if scope fails to align you are not choosing the correct stars. Just look for the brightest star in the area the telescope slews to, center this star in your eyepiece with the arrow keys then hit enter. Hope my answers help you out a bit. Gregg
8" LX-90 GPS

#5 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:01 AM

1.  During boot up the version is showm briefly on the led.
2.  The sun warning is turned on a the default factory setting, but can be turned on and off through the display options submenu under the utilities menu.
3.  The WWVB is to allow for time synchronizing w/ Nat'l Bureau of Stds if you have the optional time module.  It plugs into the port on your SmartFinder.
4.  I need more details to answer this question.  Are you certai that you centered on the right stars.  Accuracy of the automatic alignment's ability to put the star in the field of the finder is dependent on a well calibrated sensor.  Did you calibrate your sensors?  The magnetic sensor can be effected by the presence of objects which alter the magnetic field (i.e. calibrating next to your vehicle and then next time setting up the telescope without your vehicle next to it).

Russ

#6 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:51 AM

Forgot to add that you can also find software version in your statistics submenu.

#7 pilleway

pilleway

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:45 AM

Thanks all for your support!
1:- Yes I was able to have the version in the Utilities / Statistics, the version I got si 40Ef.
2.- there is no "sun Warning" enable or disable in the Autostar I got, never mind, we all have to be very causios when using the telescope and use the appropiated filters when looking in to the sun.
3.- I do not have the time module so I should not worry, but what does WWVB stands for? Any idea?
4.- I haver looked in to the eyepice ( at least 26mm or higher) to find the brigtest star to center then press enter and go for the next star. I did follow the sequence but something did wrong. I will be more carefull next time.

Great help from all of you! thanks.
Miguel.

#8 grahuba

grahuba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 12:46 PM

Miguel, I knew WWVB sounded familiar. 

NIST radio station WWVB is located on the same site as WWV near Fort Collins, Colorado. The WWVB broadcasts are used by millions of people throughout North America to synchronize consumer electronic products like wall clocks, clock radios, and wristwatches. In addition, WWVB is used for high level applications such as network time synchronization and frequency calibrations.

Gregg 
8" LX-90 GPS

#9 pilleway

pilleway

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 12:54 PM

Gregg, thanks, with your explanation is much clear and understandable.

Thanks.
Miguel.

#10 Hadrian

Hadrian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:24 PM

Just to add a bit on the Auto Alignment, (in case you didn't know). You can select different alignment stars, by scrolling with the arrow keys. This is helpful if you can't see the stars the scope selects.

Personally I prefer to do a 2 star manual alignment.  I find it works just as well as the auto align, and is a lot quicker. (be sure to follow instructions in scope manual)

#11 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:26 AM

Hi Miguel,

Make sure to calibrate your sensors.  If the sensors are not calibrated properly, the brightest star in the eyepiece may not be what Autotar thinks.  Sensor calibration is under setup>telecope>calibrate sensors.  The scope goes thru its startup dance (leveling itself and finding north).  It then points to where AutoStar thinks Polaris is located and asks you to center it using the handbox.  Center it and your sensors are now calibrated.

The sun warning is under utilities>display options>sun warning.

Russ

#12 pilleway

pilleway

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:30 PM

To all, thankyou very much!! for your advice and help.
:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users