• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Taimoor

Taimoor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 02:52 PM

Hello all My name is Taimoor and like most people here love astronomy.  ;D.

My question today is that if my declination of teh Lx90 is messed up since it is in polar mode, I want to know if it is off a little bit how can I fix this. Here is what I have been doing lately.

I don't think I am using the drift method but it is kind of like that. First I look at the stars and move the scope in RA. The stars in the eyepiece move in a sort of an arc fashion if the arc is concave down this would mean that real 90 degrees of the polar mount is below where the wrong 90 degree on the panel. I just keep doing this until I get to the point where I see little or no movement. Basically I am just aligning the scope to the Earths axis of rotation. Until I see that the stars start to move concave up, I keep repeating the process. Concave up and concave down tells me that between those 2 the real axis of rotation lies. When I tried this method It seemed my mount was about as close as possible but I want to do it a bit more accurately so the scope aligns properly.

Thanks for all the assistance and nice to meet you guys.

#2 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:10 AM

Hi Taimoor,

You can move your dec indicators manually once you have found the right position through your current procedure...but what you are doing is the best way of properly setting up in polar mode.  The indicators are for coarse setting only.  At numerous star party events I spent time with LX90/200 users showing them how to polar align for best pointing/tracking.  The most common error was relying on the dec indicator rather than using the stars...you are already past this.

Russ

#3 Taimoor

Taimoor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:16 AM

Ok Thank you buddy I was a little worried so is there anything I can do to fix the dec more precisely. thanks and nice to meet you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users