8 replies to this topic

#1 Steve S

Steve S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:47 PM

I'm having trouble performing the update for the 497 handbox .  The first time during the update something went wrong and I ended up with the flashing display .  So I tried again , this the handbox was in the safe mode . But no matter what I tried the computer would read connection not avaliable .  I called Meade and I ende up sending the handbox in under the warranty . While I was waiting for its return , I purchased another handbox on e-bay .  When it arrived I connnected it to the scope and it worked fine .    ( my scope is a 12 " LX 90 GPS )  About two days later a new handbox arrived in the mail loaded with 41Ea .  Well ofcourse I wanted to update both of them to latest version . This time before I tried the update I connected each to my laptop and checked the physical connection by use of the "Remote Handbox" setting - both of them worked fine . So I tried again using the used e-bay model first . And again the exact same thing happened . now the used box flashes and when I try to update it in safe mode - the computer states " cannot connect "
I know that the physical connections are working , but other than that I have no idea of how to solve this problem . I'm afraid of messing up the new handbox .  The only thing that I have not tried yet is to completely delete all the Auto Star programing from the computer and start over .  Any help would be Greatly apreciated !  Thanks to all that reply ...
Steve S
Equipment :
12 " Meade LX90 GPS
13.1" Coulter Dobsonian--4sale, 
80mm W.O. - Megrez SD
18" NGT / JMI 
DSI  2 , LPI , Orion SSAG
Modified Canon 400D  XTI
Panasonic DMC FZ50

#2 njnightsky

njnightsky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 02:58 PM

Maybe this Thread will help.

#3 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:46 AM

Hi Steve,

If you use remote handbox and then try to update your port is still recognizing the remote handbox and will connect to update.  For both the remote handbox and updating (or use of AutoStar Suite) your computer must be setup as a server.  To tet connections I have used either AutoStar Suite, the Sky, etc.  These applications do not take over the port as does remote handbox.

AutoStar updater is not very agressive about grabbing ports so you need make sure that any other applications are shut down.  A common culprit are applications that synch to Palm Pilots or cell phones.

Russ

#4 Steve S

Steve S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 02:11 PM

OK - Here's where I'm at ... I uninstall all the autostar suite and the updater software .
Next I down loaded the ASU derictly from the meade site .
handbox is in safe mode .  com port set and established .  version 43Eg loaded to hard drive.
HERE'S WHERE EVERYTHING GOES WRONG...
---somethimes the program reads : could not establish connection (but it acknowledges that it is a 497 and that the handbox is in safe mode )
---the other response reads : no reply (from the handbox )
-------------SOMEONE  PLEASE  HELP  ME  !  !  !  ---------------------------------------------------------
Steve S
Equipment :
12 " Meade LX90 GPS
80mm W.O. - Megrez SD
18" NGT / JMI 
Modified Canon 400D  XTI
Panasonic DMC FZ50

#5 njnightsky

njnightsky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 04:32 AM

Try this

Here are a few tips. Don't use the computer for anything else while updating. Don't let the computer go into sleep mode.

Start up the scope. You don't have to do anything else as far as the scope goes. Hook up the serial cable to the AS and computer, Start up the AutoStar updater program, it should find the scope(if you have the com port setup correctly) the Autostar screen should read downloading. Also make sure you have fresh batteries in the scope or better yet use a Power supply.

Now click on the UPDATE AUTOSTAR SOFTWARE NOW button on the screen. A box will pop up select your Autostar flavor from the dropdown box. Select the internet box and click the CHECK WWW FOR LATEST VERSION button. It will search Meade's site and tell you the latest version is 33EI. Click OK then wait for the update to finish, you can see the progress in the lower left hand portion of the screen.

You can choose to update at 57,600 instead of the 9600 (default) baud rate, its much faster. To do this (before you do the stuff I typed above) Click on the options menu item in the AS updater select MAX BAUD RATE and highlight 57,600. YOu can select your Com port (if you need to ) in that same options menu.

Good luck, its not that hard after you do it a few times.

#6 Steve S

Steve S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 07:22 AM

Well , I tried it all again ... to no avail ... I 'm done    :'(
Equipment :
12 " Meade LX90 GPS
80mm W.O. - Megrez SD
18" NGT / JMI 
Modified Canon 400D  XTI
Panasonic DMC FZ50

#7 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:40 PM

Steve has solved his Autotar updating problem.  The solution was to use a different USB to serial adapter.  His first unit was one of the more expensive Belkin units with leds reading flow of data...unfortunately it was hijacking his data...he replaced it with a cheaper unit from Radio Shack and successfully updated both handboxes.  I have seen this several times with the Belkin adapter; stay with the cheaper units.

Russ

#8 Steve S

Steve S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:43 PM

PUBLIC NOTICE : Russ is Great !!!!!
Russ you definately have a Friend in Pennsylvania !
One Happy Camper ,
Steve S    :'(
Equipment :
12 " Meade LX90 GPS
80mm W.O. - Megrez SD
18" NGT / JMI 
Modified Canon 400D  XTI
Panasonic DMC FZ50

#9 njnightsky

njnightsky