24 replies to this topic

#21 Phobos

Phobos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:47 PM

Russ again thank you.

With all the help you've all given me so far.  This is the month we are buying the scope and as fate as it, the boy's grandmother has offered to match our amount with an equal amount, so were talking about 5xx-6xx for our range now.

Of course, this opens a lot more scopes to us, and I have to return and ask again, assuming all the things discussed before, and I go with a refractor, a 497 model, and the best apature I can find, what suddenly becomes the new scope of choice in the 5xx-6xx range?

Don't hate me!  :)

#22 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:03 AM

In this price range I do not have a good recommendation for a go to/tracking refractor.  The LXD75 series is a bit above this in price and more importantly is a more difficult telescope to set up.  The ETX90 is also a bit above.

The good news is that this puts you in the 6"-8" dobsonian (dob) style reflector.  Meade's Lightbridge or Orion's IntelliScope are around $600.  Meade's can be disassembled for travel and is very well designed and constructed.  The Orion design advantage is an option object locater (it will find objects but not track them).  A dob is very easy to move by hand when tracking objects and they are the scope of choice at public star parties with schools.  The difference in aperture makes a major impact in what can be seen.

If you want to discuss in more detail, send me a private message and I will give you a call.

Russ

#23 Phobos

Phobos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:21 AM

The ETX 90, is just at the end of our range, I've even seen a few places offering a $90 rebating taking it almost down to 600 itself, so this is a valid option.  I looked at the LXD and it does seem to go beyond.

I do know however that while the DOB scopes are reportedly fantastic, I really want to stick to a tracking and autostar scope for my son's benefit.

Let me do some reading and see what I find.

#24 Guest_rtanton_*

Guest_rtanton_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:21 AM

Hi Phobos,

You might check out:  http://www.meade4m.c...op/outlet.html  Both the 125 and 105 now fit your budget.  The 125 has more aperture; the 105 is a bit more durable.

Russ

#25 Phobos

Phobos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:31 AM

Thank you again to everyone that has assisted us with this purchase.  In the end, I went with the ETX-125.  I simply couldn't pass up the price and the apature of the scope.  While it may not have all the features of the new PE, it had exactly what we needed and should last us a good long time.

While it's a Christmas gift for my son, nothing says I can't give it a trial run, for testing purposes! 

I was not 100% positive if it came with the star software that the other ETX scopes advertised, so I'll check once it comes in and make a separate purchase if not, unless anyone feels there is a better product on the market we should look into while we have the option.

???  ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users