2 replies to this topic

#1 John S.

John S.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:02 PM

Finally got to try out my new 2" enhanced star diagonal on my LX90GPS. Dissapointed when I found out that Meade did it again. I can't use the new diagonal to polar align as it prevents the dec from going to 90 deg,.... it hits the base at around 80 deg.
So now I have to remove the diagonal unscrew the adapter, screw on the stock adapter and diagonal, polar align, remove and reverse the whole process for observing.
I really like the Series 5000 products, but they really didn't take size and clearances into account. One of the reasons I went to this diagonal was that while the Series 5000 eyepieces fit the stock diagonal fine, the addition of an eyepiece filter results in the eyepiece sitting on the prism due to barrel length. Didn't have a great day,..not a happy camper.  :'(

John
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:35 PM

John
As with many fork mount scopes (not only Meade scopes) this is a problem and will always be a problem.
The forks are designed to be as short as possible to prevent flexture and by doing so it will now allow some things to be used for pointing at polaris.
Like many you will need to do the polar alignment with the short setup and when done you can go to your 2 inch diagonal.
This isnt as bad on thee 10 inch and 12 inch scopes .

Regards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 John S.

John S.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:44 PM

Hi Mark,
I hear what you are saying. My point is that they ( and yes maybe other companies too) should take care when they come out with new line of accessories without taking clearances and other factors into mind, certainly with all current models. This diagonal for example is sold as an optional accessory for the LX90,..one would therefore expect it to do the job,..not just some of the time. For example had they simply designed it so that it screwed onto the scope back without an SCT-2" adapter, it would work fine all of the time. Same goes with the series 5000 eyepieces if the barrels were shorter then the EP wouldn't sit on the diagonal prism when a filter is installed.

John
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users