• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 hextejas

hextejas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 08:11 AM

I want to be able to use my Iphone/Ipad to do positioning of my scope. The software that I use  will be either Luminos or SkySafari Pro.

I am not clear as to what I would need on the scope side to permit these devices to drive it.

And reading some posts scare me as to the potential of frying the scope's electronics if I get it wrong.

Can I just use a simple USB wifi adapter ?

thanks

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2960 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 23 July 2021 - 08:23 PM

Hi hextejas!

The ETX 60 has been around for a long time and is not capable of working with modern software.  Using one of the newer handsets, like the AudioStar, might allow communication through a secondary port on the handset.  The connection, was far as I know is a serial type with a phone jack on the handset side and a nine pin connector for the computer.  Even the old software patch that would allow the use of a USB connector instead of a nine pin serial port is not compatible with any modern Windows or Apple systems.

As far as using something like a modern WYFI setup with an ETX, you will need to be a really sharp electrical/computer engineer capable of developing your own hardware and software to make it work.  Too much time and technology advancement has taken place since that scope was built for anything modern to work with it.

Sorry for the bad news! :(

Bill

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 25 July 2021 - 05:20 PM

Hello,

The WiFi controller that works to make this happen with all Meade telescopes  use AudioStar, AutoStar (non #494 versions), AutoStar II, and AutoStar III

Hope this helps.

Rick 

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2960 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 25 July 2021 - 05:40 PM

Thanks, Rick! :)

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic