No replies to this topic

#1 Betty L Myers

Betty L Myers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 10:22 AM

My LS 8" will come on when the light switch is turn on and beeps and the handbox will come on and beeps but nothing on the screen but the back light.  I tried pressing different buttons but no reactions..  I turned it off and inserting the mini card, that has worked, and turned it on the switch blinks and the handbox comes on and beeps but nothing but the back red light.  Has anyone had this to happen?   B L.   Thanks if you can help..

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2960 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 10 October 2020 - 06:12 PM

Hi Betty,

I never did have that problem with my LS, but maybe someone else will post that did.  It sounds to me like a connection problem between the scope and the handset.  All the real brains of the system is inside the mount and not in the handset.  So I am thinking that it is probably not an issue inside the handset itself.  However, I could be wrong.

I will be watching to see if someone answers you.

Best Regards,

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Betty L Myers

Betty L Myers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 08:17 AM

Thanks;  I appreciate that very much..  B L

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2960 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 10:49 AM

Hi Betty,

I have been having problems this weekend posting, copying into a post, and attaching a file.  So I am going to split this up into three parts.

This first part is that I sent a copy of your post to Customer Service.  They are all working from home and not answering the phone in the office.  Salvador answered me back.  They still think it is a software issue, corrupted file, etc.  They suggested an update with the software.  The current version is 1.6E, which you probably have. 

My thinking is, if you are running that version, then either the file is not successfully loading from your mini SD card, or something has happened to the copy of it on your card.

If you are not running version 1.6E, then this is probably the time to upgrade to that version.  It may be time to upload the file again, if something has gone wrong with it on your SD card anyway.  However, I would do the following first:  1. Plug and unplug the cord going between the scope and your handset several times. In case any oxidation has developed that is hindering data transfer, that should help clear it. 2.  Load and unload your SD card several times to clear any oxidation on those contacts as well.  3.  Start the scope up again and see if it works.

If none of that works, then the next step would most likely to be getting you set up with a new mini SD card, with the latest version of the program on it.  Salvador says that loading through Windows 10 from your computer does not work, but an SD card made from your computer does...assuming you have a way to get the program onto a new mini SD card or a micro SD card in a mini SD card adapter (sort of a sleeve to make it fit the scope).  Meade still sells copies of the program on either mini SD cards or micro SD cards in one of the adaptors (not sure which it is) which would probably be cheaper than getting set up to make a card yourself, however, I could be wrong.

My next post will be a copy of Salvador's reply to my email, which talks about updating the program.  The third post will be an attempt to attach the instructions for using ASU and probably some of the other software that Salvador attached to his response.  Some of this has been crashing my posting process, so I am starting with the easiest part (this message) and then progressing to the parts that are more likely to mess up.

If I cannot get any more on here than this message, email me at bill.steen1@cox.net to give me your email address and I will forward what I have to you that way.

Bill

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2960 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 10:51 AM

Salvador's reply:

Hi ,

Thanks for the email and opportunity to assist,

We would recommend performing an update which might resolve the issue without need of bringing the scope in for a repair. Attached are the full instructions for updating via USB and SD (preferred) and here’s a link to the LS code in Dropbox:

Autostar Suite:
https://www.dropbox....Ow3GHf0sVa?dl=0

Firmware 1.6E:
https://www.dropbox....LSV16E.zip?dl=0

You will want to place it in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Meade\AutostarSuite\Updater folder (not ephemerides folder) and unzip the contents. When you then open the updater program you will click the box for Upgrade Autostar Software Now and on the pop up screen select the ETX-LS model from the drop down menu. Click "No" if a popup appears explaining download then check the box for "Make SD" and click OK. On the following screen you will need to highlight the drive number for the SD card on your computer and then click Create ETX_LS SD Card. The installation will take a few minutes. 

Keep in mind requirements for the SD Card are a 1 to 2 GB Mini card, which in practice will typically be a Micro with Mini adapter now as the Mini size has become less popular.

Note: programming the LS card with Win10 for some reason doesn’t work.

As an alternative we do now sell pre-made SD Cards for $18 for the SD and $8 shipping and handling to any US address for scopes which are outside warranty if the scope is over a year old.

You can send us your address and send the credit card info in a Password Protected PDF file and then send the password to open the file on a different email. That’s something some customers have done to safely send their card info.

Best Regards,

Salvador Bojórquez

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2960 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 10:53 AM

Hopefully, here is the attachment

#7 Betty L Myers

Betty L Myers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 12:48 PM

Hello;  I got your message and just like to tell you that I have an apple computer and a Keyspand adapter too.  Is there anyway I can do this with my apple mini computer or do I have to have a PC..??  I hope this does not make it to difficult ..  I might just have to get a PC..    I thanks you for all the effort you have made and I will try to do it..  Thanks...  B L

#8 Betty L Myers

Betty L Myers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 08:47 AM

Hello;  I have good news, I tried the plugging in the cord to the handbox several times and turning it on but no reaction there so then I tried to slid the mini card back and forth severl times and then turning it on and, Wallah, . The scope came alive and started to download the card when it finished it, I turned it off until today and now I will see how far it will work..  I was so happy, that I was afraid I would make a mistake if I went even further..   I will let you know how it works..   Thanks, ever-so-much...  I will keep your instruction, incase I need it in the future..  My email is belmyers@gmail.com..  B L 

#9 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2960 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 10:51 AM

This is the instruction file from Meade Customer Support

Edit:  It did not work.

#10 Betty L Myers

Betty L Myers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:13 PM

Hello Bill;  I would like to get the new SD Card with the new firmware 1,6d for my LightSwich, this would solve my problem of not having a PC but a Mac.  Would appreciate the info on how to get one of these SD Cards. And the address to send it to.  Thanks  B L Myers at:  belmyers@gmail.com

#11 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2960 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:55 AM

Hi Betty!

Here is what Salvador said in his reply about your troubles, as related to a new SD card:

As an alternative we do now sell pre-made SD Cards for $18 for the SD and $8 shipping and handling to any US address for scopes which are outside warranty if the scope is over a year old.

You can send us your address and send the credit card info in a Password Protected PDF file and then send the password to open the file on a different email. That’s something some customers have done to safely send their card info.

Best Regards,

Salvador Bojórquez

I will also email this to you.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users