#1 fjhdavid

fjhdavid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 01:23 AM

Hi,

With focal reducer, filter wheel and CCD camera, I start to have more pounds than a flip mirror + a 26mm eyepiece.

I found a way to put additional load at the front of the tube with magnetic band (you paste the first one and you add more and more magnetic layer to increase the counterweight).

My questions are:

1- How to know when the telescope is properly balanced? (it has tracking impact for sure).

2- At least, should it be possible to know the nominal load value (eyepiece holder +...)  taking into account by the LS6 engineer for factory balancing?

best regards

Fran├žois

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 31 March 2020 - 11:15 AM

Hi Francois,

It will be another couple days until I can call in to Meade.  I just realized that my cell phone is in our house quarantine right now after a trip to my doctor's office yesterday.  Due to our age and individual conditions, we are following a strict family protocol during this Corona Virus shut down.  When I can get my phone back, I will give Meade a call.  I am not sure if they are open or not since there is a shutdown in progress in the Los Angeles area.

I do not have any information on the allowable weight on the rear of an LS 6, but I do have some thoughts:

1.  The original attempt by Meade to put LNT detection in a scope failed because of residual magnetism in the steel tubes of the AutoStar LNT scopes.  When they produced the LS scopes, aluminum tubes were necessary to avoid the same problem.  Be sure to watch and see if your magnets affect the positioning of your scope when it is finding magnetic North (or maybe South).

2.  Weigh the added equipment, subtract a little for mirror and eyepiece the scope would otherwise use.  You will have to estimate to the best of your ability the distance between the altitude axis and the center of mass of your additional equipment, and likewise the distance from that same axis and the center of the spot you would attach weights.  The amount of weight needed to balance your added equipment should be the extra weight of your equipment times its distance from the altitude axis divided by the distance from the axis to the position of your counterbalancing weight.

Hope this helps!

Bill

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 fjhdavid

fjhdavid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 07:51 AM

thanks a lot!

and good luck for the corona!  (In France, we are in quarantine for 2 two weeks)

#4 Cezar

Cezar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBucharest, Romania

Posted 05 April 2020 - 01:46 PM

Hi Francois,

When I want to balance my scope, I have followed the instructions on this video https://www.youtube....h?v=Nle-bAxODeM. Hope this will help you.

On my LT-8 ACF (the little brother of LS), I have removed the aluminium plate that keeps the OTA in place and I have replaced it with a Vixen mounting platform. Also, I have attached a Vixen dovetail on my OTA, so now I can detach the OTA from the mount. Much easier for me to balance the scope this way. 

Best regards,

Cezar

Meade LT-8

#5 fjhdavid

fjhdavid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 11:46 PM

very intresting! thank you Cezar

#6 Cezar

Cezar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBucharest, Romania

Posted 21 April 2020 - 08:44 AM

Hi Francois,

Please find in the picture attached the modification for the Vixen dovetail. I guess for the LS model, there should be some cables from the GPS and camera that go inside the mount.

20200421_180826.jpg

Meade LT-8

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users