#1 lx2008

lx2008

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationPA.

Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:46 PM

hello,

i finally was able to log in. its been a while since i`ve been here. got a good question for some of you.

i recently purchased an 10in lx200gps.(used unit) autostar ver. 4.2g.

i just got a chance to turn it on. after it turned on, i get the welcome message, version, and the sun warning, but then...no gps fix,

its just says setup align.

reason i`m confused is my bigger lx200 is permanently mounted in polar in my obs. and i always have parked it. so i cant remember the last time i had to initiailize. but if i remember correctly after the sun warning it always started to get a fix with all those *****. now this one does not.

i was thinking maybe the previous owner may have turned it off.

the gps module is shot

or the 2032 battery needs replaced.

any help here would sure be appreciated!

p.s i have delved into the setup menu yet to see if it was turned off. so i`ll try that first.

• vomit likes this

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:57 PM

On April 6/7, there was some sort of date rollover on GPS satellites.  Some of the systems have had problems with the situation.  I believe your scope is probably having that trouble.  It is my understanding that Meade is working on fixes.  You might want to call Meade Customer Support.  Toll free call (800) 626-3233 in the USA.  The older Autostar controllers are especially having trouble with this. 

With that said, I would put a new battery in the scope anyway, just in case that is the issue.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 moxxyman

moxxyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:44 PM

Hi... Since your scope isn't fixing during initialisation, it rather implies GPS has been switched off in the menus. It does not necessesarily mean you have the rollover bug. The only way to find that out is to GPS fix and take a look at the date afterwards. If the date is 2099, you most likely have the bug. A patch is available to deal with it on the Starpatch website (thanks to Andrew Johansen).

Please take a look in the menus and enable GPS at startup, then park the scope and cycle the power button to see if GPS fixes. After that... check the date provided by the GPS.
Let us know how you get on.
Wayne

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:00 AM

Thanks, Wayne!  Good information. :)

#5 lx2008

lx2008

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationPA.

Posted 27 April 2019 - 11:29 AM

thank you very much. been lazy lately, still have not tried to to see if gps was turned off yet. will do it tomorrow for sure

#6 vomit

vomit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 04:42 AM

hello,
i finally was able to log in. its been a while since i`ve been here. got a good question for some of you.

i just got a chance to turn it on. after it turned on, i get the welcome message, version, and the sun warning, but then...no gps fix,

reason i`m confused is my bigger lx200 is permanently mounted in polar in my obs. and i always have parked it. so i cant remember the last time i had to initiailize. but if i remember correctly after the sun warning it always started to get a fix with all those *****. now this one does not.

the gps module is shot

p.s i have delved into the setup menu yet to see if it was turned off. so i`ll try that first.

I’m having same issue. Any update from Meade?

#7 vomit

vomit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 04:42 AM

hello,

the gps module is shot

I’m having same issue. Any update from Meade?
  • vomit likes this

#8 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 05:17 AM

I have not heard anything from them about this.  If you are able, consider calling Meade Customer Support and at  least register the fact that you cannot get a fix.  They have a questionair that can help them narrow down on the problem.

Hopefully, there will be an update soon for the scopes affected.

Best Regards,

Bill

• vomit likes this

#9 vomit

vomit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:38 AM

I have not heard anything from them about this.  If you are able, consider calling Meade Customer Support and at  least register the fact that you cannot get a fix.  They have a questionair that can help them narrow down on the problem.

Best Regards,

Bill

Best Regards,

Bill

Thanks.  I will be calling there tomorrow.  To say I am annoyed would be a huge understatement.  Since I live in Michigan....clear cloud free skies are a rarity.  And last night was a great night (for skies) to show my new neighbors the sites.  Fat chance.  The darned thing would get the date (september 25, 2099) and even when I put the right date in it still was having problems aligning.......than today I was gonna try hooking up my Autostar to the PC and I find out my cable is no good with Windows 10!!!  At this point I'd like to blow the Autostar up, and just get a different mount and use it with hand controls........  

Would I be able to bypass these problems by throwing another $200 at Meade and getting the Stella Wi-Fi to use with my iPhone?

Very frustrated, that I have a $4k instrument that doesn't know where it's at........

#10 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2958 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 04:57 PM

Using the Stella Wi-Fi to get around the current issue would be a question for Customer Service.  Personally, I am doubtful that it would.  However, I speak from a vast field of ignorance when it comes to things like that.

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users