• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Codeman

Codeman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 04:58 PM

A school I am helping has a Meade LX600-ACF telescope and the handset is having issues.  The text screen at times blinks only half of the screen and the other half the text is stable.  The handset is AutoStar II and I have the same handset for my LX200GPS.  I have been into my Meade Handsets, AutoStar and AutoStar II, to fix the button issues but never had a screen issue. 

I cannot find anything on the internet regarding the handset’s half blinking screen.  Most times on start up it does not blink but over time it does start.  I have used my Meade AC/DC adapter to run the scope thinking the batteries were maybe the issue.  However, that did not solve the issue and I did take out the batteries of the scope.  I suggested to the school to get the adapter and not use batteries.

Does anyone have any idea on why half the text screen blinks at times?  Can it be fixed other than buying another handset? 

Thank you for any responses.

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2957 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 17 December 2018 - 04:19 PM

Hi Codeman,

I do not have any experience with AutoStar II and only know that the real brains is in the mount, rather than in the handset like AutoStar I.  If you do not get any responses to your request, I suggest that you call Meade Customer Support at 800-626-3233.  Somebody is supposed to be answering the phone 8:00 AM to 3:00 Pacific Standard Time on regular week days.

I suspect the issue has to do with a defective chip or connection related to that half of the screen.  I have heard of half the screen going completely dead before, but not blinking.

Best Wishes,

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 27 December 2018 - 08:17 PM

I have had a similar problem with a Audiostar handset and the only solution was to replace the handset. I believe Bill is correct that the logic for the scope resides in the mount however the front end command and control to that logic is through the handset. In the sceam of things The cost of a new handset is worth it rather than trying to fix the old handset without any technical support or guidiance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users