6 replies to this topic

#1 Andrey

Andrey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 01:36 PM

Greetings, dear Meade users!

I am a happy newbie owner of Meade Polaris 90 with German equatorial mount. Recently I discovered some parts of the mount are not described in the Polaris Series Instruction Manual v3 (see below).

What are A, B and C?

How do I use these parts?

What its proper location?

Thank you for a detailed reply.

2018-07-18_00h21_00.png  2018-07-18_00h32_04.png

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2956 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 17 July 2018 - 05:36 PM

Hi Andrey,

Those parts have to do with attaching and using a drive unit that is not available.  The current drive attaches to the place where the manual control hooks on the other side of the mount.  A is the drive gear, which can be manually moved and serve as a manual control knob.  B is the leaver for the clutch mechanism in this unavaliable drive unit.  C, I think, is a shaft to hook the drive unit to the mount.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Andrey

Andrey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:04 PM

Hi Andrey,

Those parts have to do with attaching and using a drive unit that is not available.  The current drive attaches to the place where the manual control hooks on the other side of the mount.  A is the drive gear, which can be manually moved and serve as a manual control knob.  B is the leaver for the clutch mechanism in this unavaliable drive unit.  C, I think, is a shaft to hook the drive unit to the mount.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen

Dear Bill,

Thank you for sharing this information.

Why the original drive unit is not available for the Polaris 90?

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2956 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:38 PM

Hi Andrey,

I do not know, I only can guess.  What I do know is that the Polaris line of scopes that are now sold was put together shortly after Meade was bought by Sunny Optical.

I wish they did have a drive unit that fit with those items, rather than putting a drive on the other side.  It would be a whole lot better.

Bill

#5 Andrey

Andrey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:56 AM

Thank you.

Hi Andrey,

I do not know, I only can guess.  What I do know is that the Polaris line of scopes that are now sold was put together shortly after Meade was bought by Sunny Optical.

I wish they did have a drive unit that fit with those items, rather than putting a drive on the other side.  It would be a whole lot better.

Bill

Dear Bill,

Thank you for commenting this.

The question has been answered.

#6 Andrey

Andrey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:34 AM

Anyway I started learning about the Meade Polaris Motor Drive and found that the link to its User Guide is broken:

https://www.meade.co...de-size-1-4-mb/

https://www.meade.co...e_manua1021.pdf

Can you share this PDF file please?

Thank you.

#7 Ilyass

Ilyass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationCasablanca Morocco

Posted 06 November 2018 - 02:29 PM

Hi,
I’m beginner in astronomy and I had many troubles to set up the Polaris motor drive attached on my Polaris 130 EQ that I bought recently.
After many temptations I was finally able to set it up, and now it ‘s working just fine, I can truck stars as well as planets without moving the telescope,I use it with the moon, Mars and Saturn.., it was very nice.
I would like to share with you the steps I followed to operate the motor drive:
1- lining up with the celestial pole ( declination axis of the equatorial mount should be lined up with the latitude of observing location and the polar axis (RA) should be lined up with the star Polaris)
2- look for the celestial objects you want to truck by rotating the optical tube around declination and polar axis (to make it easy the viewfinder should be well aligned)
3-center the object in the MA26 mm.
4-turn on the motor drive.
5- if you are observing in northern hemisphere then switch N/S to ‘S’, if not you should set it to ‘N’ (as Mr Steen said Previously on his review)
6-put the motor speed to maximum.
After that, when we see the celestial object on the eyepiece it remains centered and static during all the observation time as the motor drive is compensating the earth’s rotation.we can change then the eyepiece to more magnifying one to observe more details.

Please if you have any comments on this steps or any other remarks, I will appreciate if you could share it.

#8 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2956 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 07:57 PM

Thanks, Ilyass! 

This is good information! :) 

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic