3 replies to this topic

#1 Cyrus01

Cyrus01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:35 AM

Hi
Please could someone explain how I set and use the RA & Dec setting rings on my Polaris 130?
I can’t find anything in the manual. When I first set up the scope for use what is the starting point for them?
Many thanks

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2953 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:54 AM

Hi Cyrus!

Below is a link to a sky and telescope article on them.  I personally have never used setting circles, since finding a bright star near an object I want to observe and following an atlas through the eyepiece has worked well for me.  However, here is what I think I know about them.   In years gone past, with observatory scopes, very large and fairly accurate setting circles could be used.  On modern scopes, they are really there more for decoration and the expectation that an equatorial scope should have them than for any real functional use.  The most accurate way to use them is to put your scope on a bright star reasonably near the object you want to go to, dial in the RA and Dec to match the star's coordinates, then immediately move the scope until the coordinates on the scope match those of the object you want to see.  The object should be reasonably close to that point.

http://www.skyandtel...your-telescope/

Hope this helps!

Bill Steen

• Cyrus01 likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Cyrus01

Cyrus01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:13 PM

Thanks for the response. I will give this a try. It’s 2am and I have just got home from my local observatory, where we were using a 150 year old 6” refracting scope as well as a nice new 16” dob. It’s been fun and it’s time for bed.

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2953 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:56 PM

Sounds like a great evening with a couple scopes like that! :)

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users