5 replies to this topic

#1 Kruegon

Kruegon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:11 PM

I acquired this scope a few months back. I have a bad habit of being unable to leave well enough alone. This scope uses the Starfinder handbox. It's actually not a very bad scope. But I always want to make things better.

I picked up an Autostar 497EP recently. I'd like to to control this scope with it as I find the audio info to be very educational. Is there a way to do this? Add to the fact that this is a Goto EQ mount, and the fact that I have a CCD scope camera, and it could be an incredibly fun toy. And I could control it from my laptop if the Audiostar will work with it. Currently there is no way to use the laptop with it.

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2954 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:11 AM

That Starfinder handbox is before my time, so I am not sure if it is compatible.  I do not recall there being any equatorial systems compatible with the AutoStar controllers.  Any of the 497 handboxes will work with any of the DS mounts.  I do not  think there is anyone at Meade any more that could tell you about this scope either.  Is there any kind of number associated with the Starfinder handbox?

Bill

• RickScofield likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Kruegon

Kruegon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 04:59 PM

On the back at the bottom it says 35-4700-03. That's the only number I can find on it. At start up it says ©00 Meade [1.0] Starfinder.

If there's a way to use the 497EP with this, it'd be awesome to run it from a laptop. The actual scope is the exact same as the DS-114AT. Of which I have two.

The 494 handboxes show an option for Alt/Az and EQ, but I've always just assumed that was for using the ETX on a wedge. But now I wonder...

Unlike every other EQ I've ever seen, the 114EQ-DH4 has a neutral home position. Instead of turning the RA horizontal, it starts vertical. I've always assumed that it was to prevent the motor boxes from clashing. But now I wonder if it might be to simulate a wedge... if so, it seems it would be a simple task to adjust the settings for it.

What are your thoughts?

#4 Kruegon

Kruegon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 05:15 PM

Ok... Scrap that idea. At least in the way I tried. I set it up at the ETX-70 in polar mount mode. And it just runs and runs and runs. I was really hoping to be able to run it from my laptop. But there's no Aux port and the Handbox is identical to a 494. No ports on it either. I guess it will never be more than the most basic EQ scope. And it sucks...

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2954 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 28 March 2018 - 06:37 PM

You have my sympathies! :(

However, if the handbox is really identical to a 494, a 497 handbox will work on anything a 494 will work on......at least anything I have tried one on.

Bill

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#6 Kruegon

Kruegon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:04 PM

It's physically identical. But the firmware seems to be very different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users