7 replies to this topic

#1 Astroguy

Astroguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWellington, New Zealand

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:44 AM

Hi all. I'm new to the MEADE4M forum but have been doing astrophotography for many years with a Meade LS6 which has been fun.

I have ordered a LX850 14" which is some weeks away but am pouring the foundations for the new observatory later this week and need to know whether the pier needs to be offset from the dome centre for the LX850. I live in New Zealand, in the city of Lower Hutt which is at a latitude of around 41.2092° S. The dome is just under 8 feet diameter and so that won't be a whole lot of room and this is why I'm trying to find out whether an offset is needed.

My old telescope was alt/az and the LX850 is equatorial of course and so I've had no experience with the LX850 or an equatorial mount.

Thanks in advance!

#2 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationKillen, Alabama, USA

Posted 26 March 2018 - 12:18 PM

I am not sure about an offset but there is an Excel Worksheet that calculates the minimum elevation for imaging when you enter the wall height of an observatory on the Cloudy Nights forum.  It has a whole section of stuff related to observatories.  I tried to attach it here but it won't permit that kind of file. 

Steve

#3 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:29 PM

Here's another one I found by Googling . . .

planewave.com/downloads/get/139

Steve

#4 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:00 PM

Here's the page on Cloudy Nights. The link is about 2/3 down the page.

https://www.cloudyni...08-wall-height/

Steve

#5 Astroguy

Astroguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 12:49 AM

Hi Steve. Thanks for looking in to this. I saw the Planewave calculator about a month ago and have asked the supplier for the dimensions of the LX850 mount etc, but no info has been provided so far. And no dimensions available on the Internet.

I guess I was hoping to make contact with an owner of an LX850 14” to see what those dimensions were (as per the Planewave link), and to see what offset they might have used, if any.

Thanks,

Phil

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2955 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 27 March 2018 - 03:42 AM

Hi Phil,

Welcome to the forum!  Have you tried Meade Customer Support?  Their number is: 1-800-626-3233 (USA Only).  I think they have an email address also at: www.customerservice@meade.com.  This email address is not shown on the regular Meade website, but that is what I remember it being.

Best Regards,

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#7 Astroguy

Astroguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:52 PM

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the welcome! No I haven't tried Meade support, although my dealer did request the info from their Meade rep. I'll try Meade customer service :)

I see you live in Oklahoma. Last year I read "The Log of a Cowboy" and "We Pointed Them North", which I found fascinating and an enjoyable read about some gritty American times!

Phil

#8 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2955 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:55 AM

Hi Phil,

Yes, there were some interesting times, back then, with all kinds of clashes and mixes of cultures, customs, and general conditions. :)

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users