Photo

Kit Bash & Repair NGC-70TC (a.k.a Frankenscope)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kruegon

Kruegon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:34 AM

I'm currently working to revive a scope from the past. This is partially for fun, partially for the challenge, and partially to have the scope.

I was gifted an NGC-60TC with broken gears. I acquired an NG-70AZ. And I purchased on the cheap a Terrastar 60 with slow motion knobs. I purchased the tray and spreader from a Nexstar SLT.

NG-70 Scope
NGC-60TC Mount Head
Terrastar Gears and Tripod
Nexstar SLT Spreader and Tray

Currently, I believe I have the azimuth gear in working order but the alt gear is not quite right. I intend to try to correct this with a different gear from the Terrastar. If all goes well, this classic nightmare may yet live again.

Pictures when completed, I hope.
  • MistrBadgr likes this

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2953 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:57 AM

That is fun work!  In some of those scopes, during the first runs on them, there seems to have been an issue with the gears being too tight on the shafts and some of them cracked open.  I sort of repaired one with some gears I found on in a hobby shop, but they were pretty rough running.  I have a 60mm f/15 tube on that mount now.

Other people have taken the popped gears off and squeezed them together with super glue in the crack.  I think you will be better off the way you are going with a change out to a gear from a different mount.  It will at least be the right gear without ever being broken.

I consider those mounts, when functioning, to be about as good as it gets for a kids scope (no mater what the age).  They can be lots of fun and easy to use.

Bill

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Kruegon

Kruegon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:57 PM

If it works out, I see this as a very nice Grab-N-Go goto scope. With the kit bash, I also have a carry bag, thanks to the Terrastar. I should see some results later tonight. That's assuming I get the chance to really sit down and work on it tonight.

#4 Kruegon

Kruegon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 06:03 PM

Except that it turns out that the NGC is a Push-To scope. But otherwise, it's up and running. It's a Celesteade Terra NGC-70TC SLT. Or Frankenscope for short.

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2953 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 06:35 PM

Sometimes those "Duke's Mixtures" end up being the best!  :) 

I would be interested in hearing how it works out for you!

Bill

#6 Kruegon

Kruegon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:40 PM

I consider those mounts, when functioning, to be about as good as it gets for a kids scope (no mater what the age).  They can be lots of fun and easy to use.

Bill

I appreciate the "no matter what the age" part. Saved me from being an adult with a kid's scope lol. It's been quite the adventure repairing the scooped I've collected. This is by far my favorite refractor that we have. Second cones the ETX-80AT-BB. That is one awesome scope, just wish the focal length was longer.

Thanks to the all but useless cloudy skies, I have yet to be able to put this to the test. But an indoor false test has shown that it appears to be working now. I've had a small issue with display flicker, and it's locked up a couple of times (Software wise), but overall it seems to be in good shape.

A friend gave me a 1st gen Celestron NexImage camera. I'm planning to try it out with this scope. It's technically a planetary imaging camera, but I'm going to attempt an Orion Nebula shot with it.

I'll update again after I get to put it to the test. The weekend is looking good for a test of it's abilities.

#7 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2953 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:04 AM

I understand the cloud situation.  I have that here, plus plenty of rain.  Back yard is all squishy right now.  Fortunately, I have a concrete slab that I am putting a little shop on in the future.

I am interested in how things work out for you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users