1 reply to this topic

#1 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2954 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:47 PM

Just thought I would put some bits here as a mater of general principle. I have started the Astronomical League's Binocular Deep Sky Program. They recommend 80mm Binoculars and dark sky, but I have my 15X70mm set that I used for the Binocular Messier and Double Star Program. I am not sure if I can get all of them from my back yard (Bortle 6 or thereabouts) but I am going to try.

In order to make this one possible, I finally broke down and purchased a parallelogram mount for my binos on eBay. If you look, I believe these are continuously on sale. They are hand made by a gentleman in the United States. My cost, delivered to my house, was about $126. I decided I needed to mount the binos on the under side of the parallelogram and use a zero gravity chair (not cat to take it away from me). I emailed and asked if I could turn the end bar upside down and put the binoculars on the bottom. I was told I could, but before I got around to making the change, I received a double ended piece that would allow fittings to be moved from top to bottom as needed without having to take the end bar off and maybe get bushings messed up.

My first observations were on Nov 23rd with NGC 129 and 457. I even did the drawings (at least made an attempt at them) which is exhausting for me and limits my session time.

On November 27th, I did NGC 663 and CR 463, with drawings. The Moon got in my way until December 7th, when I added NGC 752 to the collection.

On December 11th, with some corroboration of what I had done the next night, included Stock 2, then back upward to the double cluster (NGC 869 and 884) which counts as two objects, even though I am recording them as one observation.

I have skipped over NGC 253, which has not been in a favorable position due to houses and light pollution. I suspect I will need to travel to a friends house to get this one.

This program has sixty object, that are well know (I suspect) to many of you. None of them are Messier objects, which have been deliberately excluded, and no double stars. The significant majority of them are star clusters, though there are representatives of most types of deep sky objects.

So far, this activity has been fun in a somewhat demanding way. With Mark 6, Mel 15 coming up next, I am realizing that with my LP and instrument, this is definitely not a beginner program.

Bill Steen

• Charleshaw likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2954 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:22 PM

Went out tonight and picked up three more objects in this AL Binocular Deep Sky List. Mark 6 and Mel 15 are both SW of Stock 2 roughly 5-6 degrees. Mark 6 showed up as a little fuzzy bright spot, with a couple stars showing maybe,on the NW edge of the Heart and Soul Nebula, which I could see part of. Mel 15 is inside that nebula about a degree NNW or Mark 6. Mel 15 shows bigger and brighter than Mark 6. I could see maybe five stars...tough call on what was really visible. Wrote things down and made an attempt at a drawing.

Trumpler 2 was a tiny fuzzy spot with a couple stars definitely shining bright enough to be definitely visible, with a light fuzzy area around it. Really small in my field. Eta Persei (tip of the star triangle that I think of as Perseus's Hat) was in the right side of the field with Trumpler 2 roughly in the middle. Wrote it up, made a drawing and called it at 2050 CST. Starting to get a bit of haze and the cool light wind was starting to sink in.

I think I need to put a blanket down on the zero gravity chair. This thing is made to try and get you cool in hot weather and not warm when it is cool or cold! Had a good time, but three is enough for me to remember for making corrections inside for my crude drawings outside. I need to study images of the next ones, I think, like I did for these before the next session.

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users