Photo

How do i view attached pictures on the forum? l am a newbie.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tolim

tolim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:38 AM

l am a newbie and would like to know how i can view attached pictures in the meade telescope forum. Thanks.
  • АндрейDak and Sandorinavut like this

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2955 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:25 AM

Hi Tolim,

Welcome to the forum! :)

They normally just show up on the screen.  If they do not for you, let me know what post you are trying to view and I will go see what it looks like to me. Or, go down to Deep Sky Imaging to a post about C12, the Fireworks Galaxy.  There are a number of small images down in the thread.  Do a single click on one of those and see what happens.  If you get an enlarged image, then the system is working as well as I think it can.

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 tolim

tolim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:48 PM

Hi MistrBadgr,

Many thanks for reply. I manage to see the pics with it's enlarged image on the Deep Sky Imaging as you suggested above. However, when i tried to view pictures from the "Meade Digital Series (DS) Telescope" section forum eg" Meade Hand Controller - Wiring Diagram " by sailing70 post #5 , it only shows the blue star Meade logos instead of the pictures. I was hoping to get an idea of what the DS-2000 series mount looks like on the inside.

I own a DS-2012MAK Gen 2 mount and the round plastic gear (looks amber color instead of white for all the other gears) at the end of the same approx 1/8" round metal shaft white plastic spiral gear on the motor drive is stripped. The motor started making a loud blurring noise about after 5sec when slewing CCW horizontally and i made the mistake by not stopping immediately to check what happened. I have read quite a number of post in forums from other websites having the DS-2000 series mount problems and was referred here by them. I live in Malaysia and understand parts are no longer available but i have asked a machinist to make the plastic gear with similar tough plastic material and hopefully can get it working again. 

Thanks.

#4 tolim

tolim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:18 PM

Hi MistrBadgr,

I may have made a mistake by starting a new thread in response to your suggestion but in short, your suggestion worked. 

However, instead of pictures  there is just the big blue Meade star logos on "Autostar controller handset - wiring diagram" page 2  post #5 by sailing70s on the "Digital Series (DS) Telescope" section, I am using Mac.

Thanks.

Lim

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2955 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:00 PM

Hi Lim,

Unfortunately, the ones that show a Meade emblem are ones where the file has been corrupted.  The entire system was hacked at one time and a number of things were messed up.  The whole forum was down for weeks and we were lucky to get it back.

Sometimes you can find a mount that has something broken on it that can be purchased for spare parts.  Normally, that worm gear is not what is broken.

Was the wiring diagram for the cord going between the hand controller and the mount?

Best Regards,

Bill Steen

#6 tolim

tolim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:36 PM

Bill

Problems with some pics noted.

I do have a Gen 1 mount when i first bought it new in 2012 but was having battery leak due to lack of use for a year or two which was my fault. It then had the “motor fault “ lettering displayed on my 494 handset after cleaning the area without taking it apart and replaced with new batteries. So i did buy a new replacement Gen2 mount from ebay back in 2014 from ‘ lipstickonapig’and have worked until now. Also i opened the Gen 1 mount last week and look out the worm gear that comes together with the amber color gear on one metal shaft which was in good condition and only replaced that part on my Gen2 mount. Unfortunately,i must have assembled the mount incorrectly as there was a gap of about a quarter inch between the top and bottom of the mount covers and again stripped the amber colored gear even though i have read post by other websites to not over tighten the Gen 2 mount nut that holds the covers together.

Would there be an issue if i get the exact size and number of teeth plastic gear made with about similar hard plastic material ? I will have to keep my finger crossed as the guy making the gear (i told him to make an additional spare one) will need to get back to me in a couple of days. Otherwise, i will again need to hunt for another Gen2 mount.

I do not have any issue with my 494 handset. It was merely an eg on not being able to view the pics on above posting. Thanks.

Lim

#7 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2955 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:33 PM

Hi Lim,

Keep me posted on how the gear making goes and how it works out.

I do know that when the two halves of the mount come together, it can be a bit critical on how the worm gear and the big bull gear fit together.  The entire AZ gear train is pushed onto the bull gear by a stainless steel leaf type spring.  At ttimes, I have put a piece of string around that shaft and held the gear pulled back as I I inserted the top section into the bottom bell.  Then, when the gap was almost closed up, I would pull the string out.  Sometimes, you have to turrn the top section back and forth to make sure those gears mesh properly.

I am not quite sure what happened with yours.  Whenever the telescope hits something, the drive should keep turning until the worm gear rides up on the bull gear teeth, pushing against that leaf spring.  When it pushes far enough and the worm gear turns enough, it should pop back down in place with a distinctly loud sound.  If yours did not, something really strange was binding things.

Anyway, hope this helps!

Bill

#8 tolim

tolim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:23 PM

Bill
Come to think of it, when I bought the gen 2 mount which was new, it seem the az was stuck at a certain spot when all slewing but then I was mainly using for terrestrial fixed object.

It was only March of 2017 that I was trying slew using the go to mount.

The plastic gears can be made and runs me us50 for the 2 pcs I ordered. Will report back when I reassembled it.
Thks.
Lim

#9 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2955 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:35 PM

Lim,

For work in a machine shop like that, the price is very reasonable....much less than any other way to get the situation repaired, I think.

Good Luck! :)

Bill

#10 tolim

tolim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:00 PM

Received the 2 pcs gears that i ordered. lt was made in blue color instead of amber and all i needed to do was push it into the gear shaft at the exact spot where the original gear is located and is a tight perfect fit. However, i encountered more problems as i was about to attach it to the gear motor.
First, i then notice that the amber gear underneath was also stripped which i had not paid attention to earlier, so i took it out from my spare Gen 1 mount and had to fiddle it quite a bit to get it to the bottom part and in the process i broke the black plastic mounting motor frame in the middle of where the plastic hinge is located and was broken on both sides of it. l drilled a very tiny hole through both top and bottom of the broken places and cut a short section meter paper clip that is about the same same as the drilled holes and super glued it. l then close the top part of the mount and bottom can together and run the motor and i heard some sound like something hitting the gears and open it up and the part of the hinge that i repaired came loose again and stripped as well as broke off the amber gear at the point that has a big gear connected to a small gear on the underside of all the gears.The gear that broke and stripped is rather flexible where you could actually flex it slightly without breaking. So now, i am short of that gear (which is rather small in size)and see whether i can source it from anyone instead of having to make it as i recall the machinist i use says that it may be difficult to make small gears.
As for the motor plastic mount that was broken, i have the good one from my Gen 1 that i could replace. So, at this point i would know exactly whether the blue gears that was made could hold up to the load of the DS-2012mak telescope that i am using.
Lim.

#11 tolim

tolim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:04 PM

Correction on last paragraph...... i would NOT know whether the blue gear can take the load.......
Lim.

#12 tolim

tolim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:11 PM

I thought so too that the price is fair for the blue gears that was made but until i get the other amber big gear combined with small gear in one piece, i do not know how tough the blue gear is.
Lim.

#13 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2955 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 11:33 AM

Lim,

Sorry to hear about the troubles.  Hopefully, you will be able to work through it.  You will definitely end up with a hybrid rig, but if it works, it works! :)

Is the big gear the one on the bottom of the bowl piece that the mount turns on?

Bill

#14 tolim

tolim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:21 AM

Bill
I got good news!
Found a great guy from an astronomy forum in the US who is willing to ship the first small amber color gear that attaches to the main motor underneath all the other gears (30 Teeth and 12 Teeth Inner Spur all in one piece) which is for the azimuth motor. You could easily flex the 30 teeth part which feels rubber like and probably designed by Meade to break first in case of jamming as mentioned by the guy shipping to me. l have confirmed order for 2 pieces. Btw, It is not the big bull gear at the inside bottom of the mount.Phew! What a relieve!
Thanks for all the thoughtful input.
Lim

#15 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2955 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:15 AM

Lim,

That is really good news!  Glad to help and hope this all ends well for you.  Please keep us posted.

Once you get things all back together, do not hesitate to tell us about your astronomy adventures with your scope!

Best Regards,

Bill

#16 tolim

tolim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:49 PM

Bill,
Will be looking forward to getting the telescope repaired soonest when the gears i ordered arrives.
I too hope all goes well. Thanks.
Lim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users