• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 billw5010

billw5010

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:31 AM

I have a 1999 or so LX90 EMC. I have taken planetary photos, over time with good results but now I want to start longer exposures for deep sky photos. I've purchased an autoguiding camera and a 50mm scope for this purpose. The autoguider camera has a USB Type B to a USB type A (Std USB) cable and an RJ45 connector to an RJ11 connector cable. The Type B connector goes to the computer. My question is: Does the RJ11 go to the LX90 Handbox OR to the AUX port on the LX90? 

• FreemanFoedo likes this

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2828 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:58 PM

I am not familiar with your particular LX90 EMC model, but I have used several scopes with 497 handsets (older versions).  In order to talk to a computer, the plug goes into the spare one on the handset and not into the auxx port on the mount.  With DS mounts, plugging into the aux port with damage the motherboard in the mount.

Anyone that knows better about this model than I do, please speak up and correct me if needed.

Hope this helps!

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:15 PM

Has to go to the Autostar or Audiostar bandbox and I believe you may need an Autoguider Port Module Meade part number 07509

#4 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:24 PM

Correction on the above, you must use an Audiostar handbox, the above module is not compatible with the Autostar.

#5 billw5010

billw5010

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:24 AM

Thanks guys. I'm glad I didn't use the AUX! In  my LX90 manual there is an accessory port module (APM) that says it's for illuminated reticle, electric focuser or autoguider. Meade #909 but so far, I cannot find one. States that it attaches to the 'rear cell?' Not sure what that means either. 

Here's another issue. I've used Autostar Suite before but it's designed for Windows XP or earlier. Do you know of compatible SW that will work with newer PC's and the LX90 EMC?

Bill

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2828 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:37 AM

I am not really up on autoguiding, but I have a planning program, called AstroPlanner, that can be connected to many scopes and used to control them.  You might Google it and see if it would do what you want it to.  The gentleman that wrote that program does a good job of supporting his customers with a user forum as well as answering emails.  I have not personally tried to hook it up to a scope.  I have only used it for planning purposes.

There are many different programs out there for that function.  However, someone else will need to speak to those and which ones work well.  You might also call Meade Customer Support and see if they have anything new that will work with Windows 7 or higher.  They have a toll free number for the US: 1 (800) 626-3233. They can also be contacted at customerservice@meade.com (I think I have that right).

Bill Steen

• billw5010 likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users