5 replies to this topic

#1 gfamily

gfamily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:14 PM

I've put my Meade LS8 OTA in for a service with Orion Optics UK, as I've had it 4 years so thought it worth it having a 'once over' and general clean up. I was also concerned that the secondary holder was able to be rotated by hand in the secondary, so clearly it wasn't fitted as securely as it should. 

I've had a call back saying that they weren't able to take the corrector plate out, as it seemed to be glued in place. They'd tried various means of prising, but just couldn't get it moved and they thought it must have been glued for some reason. It's the first Meade ACF OTA they've had which has had this problem, so clearly it's not 'usual' 

Has anyone else had something similar to this?

Alternatively, is there someone from Meade who can suggest why this might have been done to my scope, and can it be unstuck so that we can properly get access to the interior? 

Cheers

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:52 AM

Here is a response I received from my inquiry:

"Corrector plates of this type are never glued at the factory - the corrector is held only by the retainer ring on any Meade SCT or ACF ever made.

The only access to the interior is via the removal of the corrector, the rest of the tube is essentially welded together with industrial adhesives."

Bill

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 gfamily

gfamily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:56 AM

That's an interesting statement, because this one is immovable, so the scope's not capable of having a full service.

I'll talk to my vendor and see about it going back to Meade UK to get sorted.

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 11:02 AM

That is probably the best thing to do.  They may know a trick they do not tell anyone else about.

#5 gfamily

gfamily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:41 AM

Hmm, well - the response from the main UK authorised repairer is along the lines of "It's not glued, but it can get a bit stuck. If you sent it to us, we have techniques for releasing the corrector plate". 

However, as it's just been serviced and collimated (by probably the major UK scope manufacturer) I'm in no hurry to send it away again. The secondary is now in a fixed position; so, as soon as I get a clear night, I can check that all's OK and live with it for a few more years before the next service. 

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:21 AM

I am thinking the most likely issue you would run into would be with whatever is used as a lubricant (if any) drying up or getting stiff.  If no obvious problems, no worries.

Even though the scopes are not air tight, I doubt that something could get inside and mess things up. 

The mirrors have some really high tech coatings on them that should last an extremely long time compared to coatings used in earlier days of modern astronomy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users