5 replies to this topic

#1 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2845 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:45 AM

Last night, I completed my 51st observation in the AL Binocular Double Star Program for the required 50, and had previously made the required 5 naked eye splits by doing 6. The list provides 100 candidate objects and you pick the ones you can do.

Things I have found out:

With my 15X70 Binoculars, Bortle 6 (dark red light pollution zone) back yard, and the shakes in my hands, magnitude 7 is the very minimum star I can see in a double. Something around 30 arc seconds for equal stars with reasonable magnitude and 25 arc seconds for unequal of reasonable magnitudes is about my limit. Equal stars at magnitude 6.5 and 30 arc seconds are pretty much in the "iffy" to failure category. These limits knocked out maybe 40% of the listed candidates for me, but there were still plenty to get the program done.

Using some of the observation techniques I have learned with telescopes and reading, I found I could actually see Epsilon 1 and 2 Lyra as separate objects (sort of on and off), which I found exciting.

I plan on continuing the use of binoculars on some sort of regular bases, simply because it is a real workout and I think will help me to strengthen my abilities and will hopefully provide a physical therapy for my wiggles.

Once I get my notes typed up and carefully redraw my squiggly drawings to make things legible to someone besides myself, I will send them in to the AL.

This is a good, demanding, but not terribly long program that I would encourage others to do.

Bill Steen

• RickScofield and SBacon like this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#2 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationKillen, Alabama, USA

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:18 AM

Bill this is great.  I only wish I had the smarts to be able to star hop!  I have to depend on the goto capability of my mounts to be able to find most of my objects.

Steve

• MistrBadgr likes this

#3 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:23 PM

Bill,
I started with binoculars and went through 3 diffrent pairs of them before going to a telescope and your right about getting a workout. My first pair I ended up using a binocular bra that was a great help, as I added more power with the second pair I started using a camera tripod that I got cheap from WM and that cut down on the wiggles and muscle tremors but I still had to hold my breath while looking. Anyway my last pair weighed over 10 lbs with a 4 degree field of view. I started out using a star wheel to help me find my way around the night sky and found that by learning the stars I was able to navagte the night sky with pretty good luck. I still have my binoculars and every once in a while I get them out and surf the sky and still enjoy every minute.

I hope you can share your notes with the rest of us. I really enjoy reading you. You should be proud of your accomplishments, A True Astronomer0!
  • MistrBadgr likes this

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2845 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:00 PM

Thanks, Rick!

When I get things all prettied up, I will see what I can do.  With this program, I set up a spreadsheet with spaces for all the data and a place to draw a drawing if I wanted to.  Three items per page.  I was a bit constrained to three lines of remarks and descriptions, so things are a bit cryptic.  I will try to put those out as a pdf attachment.

Best Regards,

Bill

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2845 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:20 AM

Well, I finished up my documentation without the drawings.  Those were just not good enough to show to anyone.  I think I can make a pdf out of my spreadsheet and will attach it to this link. I have decided to keep something going with binoculars as something that is good for me, as therapy and simply something to stretch myself.  The one I am going to start is the AL Binocular Deep Sky Program.  This is sixty deep sky objects that are not on Messier's List. 

One of them, Merlot 111, I think, will fill the whole field of my binoculars.  The double cluster in Perseus is two of the objects.  Many are ones I remember running into at one time or another, but do not remember too much about them.

Bill

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2845 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:27 AM

Here is a pdf of my notes.  They are a little more cryptic than I would have liked.  I did not allow enough lines for notes.  I am correcting that with the next project.

Bill

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users