#1 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationKillen, Alabama, USA

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:26 AM

Here's my attempt at the 2017 eclipse.  Drove 138 miles to Gladeville TN and set up in the back parking lot of Gladeville Baptist Church. Really nice folks!  Didn't even give me too much grief about bringing my Alabama chairs!

These were shot with the Canon T5 piggybacked onto the 8" LX90 as it tracked.  I'm still working on the partial shots that was shot through the scope with my grandaughter's Canon T1.  I'll post them later.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• Baily's Beads 600mm-F5.6-ISO 100- 1 640th sec.jpg
  • Chromosphere 600mm-F5.6-ISO 100- 1 50th sec.jpg
  • Corona 600mm-F5.6-ISO 100- 1 6th sec.jpg
  • Diamond Ring 600mm-F5.6-ISO 100- 1 6th sec.jpg

• RickScofield and Ceccilslido like this

#2 E Sully

E Sully

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:21 PM

Good shots Steve.  I admit I did not take any photos.  The wife and I just sat back and watched.  Our local library gave out free glasses for kids.  Most young kids just enjoyed running around playing.  Too young to realize what was going on.

• RickScofield and SBacon like this

#3 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2955 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:09 PM

Thanks, Steve!  Those are great shots.  I am going to show them to my wife so she will understand about the white ring around the black disk.  Where the solar winds are pushing out the most is where I saw butterfly wings at Grand Island.  I am thinking about of what I saw may be an effect from very thin clouds, as far as the wings go, but they came out from those four places where your one picture shows the solar winds pushing out the most.

Bill

• RickScofield and SBacon like this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#4 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:40 PM

Steve,
These are great. Both you and Mark posted some fantastic positives. We were clouded over and couldn't really see any detail.
Thank you for sharing, RickS
  • SBacon likes this

#5 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationKillen, Alabama, USA

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:06 AM

Thanks guys for the comments. Now, here's the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey used to say.

After removing the filters just before total, I went to reset the camera program on the laptop and guess what?  THE MOUSE WAS LOCKED UP!!  I couldn't make any changes or take any shots utilizing the mouse.  I hate the touchpad and never use it so I am not very proficient at it.  While I was freaking out and trying to change the settings I notice it is dark and every one is clapping, the dog is barking and shouts of "AWESOME!".  I ran out from under my little 10x10 canopy and beheld the wonders of the heavens.  It was beautiful!!  That is a sight that will stay in my mind as long as I have my mind.  I knew I had to get a few shots so I ran back under the canopy and changed exposure level and made 2 shots. I knew I didn't have time to fiddle with ISO so I focused on exposure. I did this 3 times and ended up with the pictures you see here. 

I am saying all of this to point something out.  My original plan was to set both cameras up at a single exposure and ISO and settle for maybe a good stack of corona pics through the T5 camera and some decent close-ups through the T1 while I eyeballed totality. I do not believe in luck or fate. I believe everything that happens in my life is ordained and orchestrated by God. It obviously was not in His plan to settle for the pics that I was willing to settle for.  Without having a program that automates the exposure and ISO in the short period of time that was available, I believe it would have been very difficult for someone with experience to have attained these shots manually, let alone an old guy like me that has difficulty using the touchpad!  So I give Him all the glory because after all, it was His show that He put on for us!

Steve Bacon

• MistrBadgr and RickScofield like this

#6 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:04 PM

Nice story Steve and I am with you, I prefer using a mouse rather than a touch pad as well. ANYWAY how true your comments are about God and yes give him all the glory.. RickS
  • SBacon likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users