#1 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationKillen, Alabama, USA

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:18 PM

I shot this also on Saturday night.  I've never been able to see it very good in the past but that night was REALLY clear and I had a good focus.  Again, tracking was drifting a little so I made short shots (60 sec) with a high ISO setting (6400).  I shot the darks the next day to add to it.  I remembered reading something about the Fireworks Galaxy lately but I couldn't remember exactly what it was so I Googled it.  Sure enough, there was an article about Patrick Wiggins discovering a supernova in the galaxy.  You can read the article and see the pics of it at https://phys.org/new...rks-galaxy.html.

Here is my image of the Fireworks Galaxy and another one with the supernova labeled, if I got the right star.  You guys check and see if it is.  If it is, according to the article, its light should fade over the next few months.  I should be able to image it from my backyard until late November, at which time it will go behind a treeline and won't be viewable at a decent hour until June of next year. 

Man I love astronomy!! :D

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• C12 Fireworks Galaxy 7-29-17 SN.jpg
  • C12 Fireworks Galaxy 7-29-17.jpg

• RickScofield and spiral like this

#2 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:03 PM

Steve,
Great photos the images are crisp and clear. I am really impressed.
Thank you for sharing, RickScofield

#3 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:48 AM

After each shooting session I always save the raw data on an external hard drive so it doesn't clutter up my laptop.  Well, I knew that I had shot this galaxy before and didn't think much of the results.  After searching the drive I found the images that I took on 7/2/16.  It was a month before I got the Meade focal reducer and I had less experience at processing.  I managed to stack 5 frames shot at ISO 6400 and added some darks to them that I shot last week.  Then I took the 7/29/17 shot and restacked it and applied the 2x drizzle option to focus more on the galaxy area.  Here are the results.  You can plainly see the supernova is not visible in the 7/2/16 shot but is clearly visible in the 7/29/17 shot.  I am anxious to watch this thing dim over the next few months.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• 7-2-16 ISO 6400 12m 30s 5frms 19dks.jpg
  • 7-2-16 ISO 6400 12m 30s 5frms 19dks Nsn.jpg
  • 7-29-17ISO 6400 35m 56s 37frms 61 dks 2x.jpg
  • 7-29-17ISO 6400 35m 56s 37frms 61 dks 2x Sn.jpg

#4 E Sully

E Sully

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:52 PM

Nice shots Steve.

#5 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:35 AM

Thanks for your comments guys.  I find it exciting to see something dynamic happening among the stars and galaxies!  Just imagine, we are actually seeing something that happened 22 million years ago that just reached our planet this year.  That's a long time for that light to travel.  Just like it takes sunlight 8 minutes and 20 seconds to reach earth.  The vastness of the universe is awesome! 

Steve

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2767 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:25 PM

That is all cool stuff, Steve!  You may be able to image this thing as the supernova diminishes.  I don't know how long a supernova will remain bright, but you might be able to tell the difference over the next weeks/months.  You are definitely getting the hang of imaging! :)

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users