2 replies to this topic

#1 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2780 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:21 PM

I now have an Eclipseview 114 in my possession and have starting using it the last few days.  There is a nice grouping of small and medium size spots working its way across the sun.  Yesterday, the group as a whole looked like some kind of flower growing on a vine.  Today, not so much, with the flower morphing into a triangle.  A couple days before, what is now the larger grouping was three distinct spots of medium size with lots of little stuff below them.

I want to encourage anyone with a white light filter for their scope(s) to check out this group as it morphs into different shapes.  In the upside-down and backwards view of a Newtonian, the group is currently in the lower right quadrant of the solar disks view, approaching the mid-line of the sun.

This scope is proving to be a nice one.  I did paint the open end ring flat black inside, instead of the original yellow of the plastic.  This eliminated quite a bit of glare I was experiencing with the Moon.  Views of Jupiter are quite satisfactory for an f/4, 4.5 inch Newtonian.  I have not actually checked out its collimation yet.  It seems to be doing nicely.  I will make sure it is spot on before testing it on any double stars.

Have fun!

Bill

• RickScofield and SBacon like this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#2 E Sully

E Sully

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:45 PM

That looks like a fun scope for day and night viewing.  I remember looking at the sun with my first scope, a Sears refractor back in the 70's.

I enjoyed watching the sunspots on the white screen that came with it.

I am tempted to get a filter for my ETX90.  It would give me some viewing time, since I haven't had a good clear night in over a month.

• SBacon likes this

#3 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2780 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:08 PM

That was my situation for a while, in terms of clouds at night.  Having the ability to view the sun really helps that situation....assuming there are some sun spots. :)

• SBacon likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users