#1 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:06 PM

Anyone know the max input voltage you can use on an LX90ACF ? Most AC adapters are over 12V, even when they say output is 12V..I have a 5 amp one I use on my new EQ mount that measures 14.3V..(16V is max on EQ).. I was thinking of using the AC adapter on my LX90 ACF, if the 14.3V wouldn't be to high for it..

#2 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationKillen, Alabama, USA

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:56 PM

Don't know the answer to that question but I would like to know what kind of EQ mount did you get?

Steve

#3 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:03 PM

Don't know the answer to that question but I would like to know what kind of EQ mount did you get?

Steve

I got a SW AZ/EQ5 and an ES127 FCD100 APO to go with it.. :D

• SBacon likes this

#4 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:04 PM

Spiral,
I wouldn't use anymore than 12 volts with 10 amp. The excess voltage may cause you thermal problems and shorten the life of your motors and boards.
RickScofield

#5 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:08 AM

Spiral,
Just for grins, I put my fluke on both of my 12 volt adapters to test the output voltage, one of them was exactly 12 volts and the other was 12.1.

#6 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:01 PM

Spiral,
Just for grins, I put my fluke on both of my 12 volt adapters to test the output voltage, one of them was exactly 12 volts and the other was 12.1.

Yeah, I guess I better not use it on the Meade..Most of the 12V ones I have laying around are over the rated output..The SW says in manual that it is designed to run on 11V minimum and 16V max and they recommend a 15V AC power supply..I couldn't find any info on the Meade however..

#7 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:09 PM

I recall a couple of stories where folks tried using power supplies in excess of 12 volts and had their telescopes go haywire. I think voltage and amps are critical to Meade's hardware expected operation. Under voltage is probably just as hard on hardware as over voltage.
  • spiral likes this

#8 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:49 PM

I recall a couple of stories where folks tried using power supplies in excess of 12 volts and had their telescopes go haywire. I think voltage and amps are critical to Meade's hardware expected operation. Under voltage is probably just as hard on hardware as over voltage.

Maybe I should try it and if it smokes the mount, It would be a good excuse to the wife to get a bigger mount for the Meade.. :D I'm gonna shoot Meade an email just to see what they say about it..

• RickScofield likes this

#9 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:27 AM

I heard back from Meade this morning and this is what they said..

The scope is designed for 12V but having said we only recommend the standard Meade supplies such as the LXPS or Meade Universal Power Supply.

Using anything else could endanger the electronics although the main threat would be reversed polarity. That would immediately destroy the electronics.

We would just use the standard supplies or internal batteries.

#10 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:02 PM

Spiral,
I like your logic "smoking the mount". I would'nt expect Meade to say anything else other than recommending their power supplies, I have to believe that if Meade sold "D" batteries they would recommend only their batteries. The polarity issue is a given which I am sure you were already aware of. By the way I,really like your pictures on the website thanks for posting them.
Rick
  • spiral likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users