5 replies to this topic

#1 donald

donald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:24 AM

Recently,the scope I bought from Sue needs some adjustments so I sent it to George for repair.Well USPS didn't have a box big enough to fit the Meade box into.I checked on line and USPS was 16.00 and UPS ran a close second.I took it to UPS and the guy brought a box larger than I thought it needed but he said it was required so that they could put bubble wrap.To make a long story short,by the time he was done he charged me 73.00.WOW,I almost passed out but now I was committed.Rest assured I will not make that mistake again....Just thought you'de like the info.  Don

• RickScofield likes this

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2735 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:54 AM

Thanks, Don!

Things like that can get expensive in a hurry!

I will be interested in hearing how things turn out for you with this scope. :)

Bill

• RickScofield likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

Don,
UPS requires a certain amount of packing all the way around electronics especially if you insure them which I am assuming you did. It seems like they are killing a fly with a sledge hammer so it's maybe an overkill to minimize their risk. I hope the repairs work out and that all this will be worth it.
Best of Luck,
RickScofield

#4 E Sully

E Sully

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:20 PM

It can be a surprise to see what it costs to ship items, especially when we get used to buying things that offer free shipping.  I buy boxes and packing supplies at Home Depot. I also pay extra for insurance.  It cost me a lot to ship some used car parts to a gentleman in Australia. 

I hope UPS does a better job with the scope than they did with the last delivery I received from them.  Usually they ring the bell when they arrive, but in this instance the driver left it in the driveway behind my car and took off.  I just happened to go outside at 7pm and saw the box.  It was quite obvious that a forklift arm had gone through the box and damaged the contents.  Fortunately the seller was quite nice and sent out a replacement right away.  They did not even request photos or documentation, they are used to shipping damages.

#5 donald

donald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:51 PM

Thanks, Don!

Things like that can get expensive in a hurry!

I will be interested in hearing how things turn out for you with this scope. :)

Bill

I'll keep you all informed.Thanks for careing.  Don

#6 donald

donald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:54 PM

It can be a surprise to see what it costs to ship items, especially when we get used to buying things that offer free shipping.  I buy boxes and packing supplies at Home Depot. I also pay extra for insurance.  It cost me a lot to ship some used car parts to a gentleman in Australia. 

I hope UPS does a better job with the scope than they did with the last delivery I received from them.  Usually they ring the bell when they arrive, but in this instance the driver left it in the driveway behind my car and took off.  I just happened to go outside at 7pm and saw the box.  It was quite obvious that a forklift arm had gone through the box and damaged the contents.  Fortunately the seller was quite nice and sent out a replacement right away.  They did not even request photos or documentation, they are used to shipping damages.

I believe that UPS only hires part time also that seems to be the norm these days,nobody gives a hoot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users