2 replies to this topic

#1 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2780 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:42 AM

I put my observing notes from my Messier Object hunt with an Infinity 80 in one file with the order being by date of the observation.  During the process, I was skipping around a lot, going from evening session to morning and dodging clouds, etc.  Therefore, trying to find my scribbling for a particular object could be a bit tough.  To combat this, I copied an Excel spreadsheet that was my checklist for when I completed an object.  The objects are listed in the order I found them, with the date and time.  I am hoping that will serve as an index.

I found all of these in a light pollution zone shown as dark red on the chart from the Clear Sky Chart website.  When I started all of this, I could just make out part of the Milky Way, going overhead from my back yard.  By the end of the hunt, I could see it all the time, with weather cooperating for a range of maybe 60 degrees.

I searched on line and found a description of the Bortle Rating System for Light Pollution.  Using that as a guide, I am calling my sky Bortle 6, though it may actually be just a touch more light polluted.  However, it is certainly not as close to Bortle 7 as it is to Bortle 6.

Hopefully, all of this will encourage people to not back away from hunting down Messier objects, even the difficult ones, from their back yard.  Maybe they can be found and maybe not, but there is always a chance....with that comes the "thrill of the hunt."

There could be some errors in my writing, whether typo type or a mind cramp of some sort.  If something does not seem right or you just get confused with what I wrote, do not hesitate to ask questions!

Sometime in the future, I may do a better job of organizing the information and put out a document like the one I did for the Astronomy League's Double Stars, which is buried somewhere in the forum.  If I can figure out how to pin this one to the top of this particular section, I will do so to keep if from getting lost.

Thanks,

Bill Steen

Attached Files

• RickScofield likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#2 E Sully

E Sully

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 01:24 PM

Nicely done.  Makes me wish I had enough determination to do it.

Thanks

#3 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2780 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:36 PM

Just take your time and get them as they come.  You don't have to do it in the relative rush that I did. :)

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users