7 replies to this topic

#1 E Sully

E Sully

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:08 AM

I have an LX200 Classic 8".  Since the declination capacitor burned out a couple of years ago, I have replaced all of the recommended ones.

Since the incident, I have been running 12 volts.  Is anyone using 18 volts on their scope, or have you switched to only using 12 volt supply.

I'm wondering since I believe using 18 volts should reduce the amperage required over 12 volts.

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2744 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:33 PM

I do not have one of these scopes, but I do agree that at the lower voltage, the motors will require more amperage to move the scope.  This, in turn, will heat up various parts along the electrical path more.  I cannot think of the person's name that specializes on repairing LX200 Classics.  If I do remember, I will post the name here.  I have mentioned his name in other posts in years past.

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 E Sully

E Sully

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 04:45 AM

I ran a quick test using both voltages, and according to the amperage meter it seemed to run almost one less bar.  That would be around 300 milli-amps.

The fuse in the control panel is a 1 amp slow blow fuse.

While the Classics were supposed to run on 18V originally. what were the later GPS scopes original voltage?

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2744 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:31 AM

The later ones are 12 volts, I believe.  I know my LS8 was 12.  If I am wrong about the latter LX200 scopes.  Someone please speak up.

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2744 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:09 PM

I found out the Classic LX 200 is not supposed to run reliably on 12 volts.  I guess if you can run it that way, more power to you! :)

#6 E Sully

E Sully

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:45 AM

I am going to continue using the 12-18V convertor from Meade.  In the manual they do specify a range of 12-18V and warn not to let voltage to fall below 12V. 

I would stay away from the original AC 18V power supply from Meade though, as mine was not reliable and had an output of 22V when I checked it.

#7 E Sully

E Sully

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:52 PM

This is a quote from a Meade representative on another forum that I found today.

"The system was designed around 18V not 12 and you can actually get all manner of misbehavior from 12V, including loss of alignment, stalling, pointing inaccuracy, etc. We used to get lots of calls from people who thought 12V was somehow better but with scopes that were not working- until they went back to 18V and suddenly all was well again. Imagine that! I would just go with the system as designed, 18V.

Best Regards,

John Piper

Customer Service Manager

Meade Instruments Corp."

#8 Stratocaster

Stratocaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:37 PM

I've dealt with John Piper from Meade customer support several times...my experience is that you should take his word as gospel.  

Get an 18v power supply. (I used to have a "Classic" as well with an 18v power supply.)

stan in Brooklyn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users