• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 E Sully

E Sully

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:08 AM

I have an LX200 Classic 8".  Since the declination capacitor burned out a couple of years ago, I have replaced all of the recommended ones.

Since the incident, I have been running 12 volts.  Is anyone using 18 volts on their scope, or have you switched to only using 12 volt supply.

I'm wondering since I believe using 18 volts should reduce the amperage required over 12 volts.

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2710 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:33 PM

I do not have one of these scopes, but I do agree that at the lower voltage, the motors will require more amperage to move the scope.  This, in turn, will heat up various parts along the electrical path more.  I cannot think of the person's name that specializes on repairing LX200 Classics.  If I do remember, I will post the name here.  I have mentioned his name in other posts in years past.

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 E Sully

E Sully

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 04:45 AM

I ran a quick test using both voltages, and according to the amperage meter it seemed to run almost one less bar.  That would be around 300 milli-amps.

The fuse in the control panel is a 1 amp slow blow fuse.

While the Classics were supposed to run on 18V originally. what were the later GPS scopes original voltage?

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2710 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:31 AM

The later ones are 12 volts, I believe.  I know my LS8 was 12.  If I am wrong about the latter LX200 scopes.  Someone please speak up.

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2710 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:09 PM

I found out the Classic LX 200 is not supposed to run reliably on 12 volts.  I guess if you can run it that way, more power to you! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users