DSI questions; hot pixels & long exposures

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_jlbdarksky_*

Guest_jlbdarksky_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:11 AM

I have two DSI's; DSI color (one of the first ones, takes color or monochrome) and DSI II Pro (monochrome w/ color filter bar).  I have not used them much because I got a DSLR camera early in my hobby of astrophotography.  I do have to use a focal reducer on both the DSLR and DSI's on shots that I want a wider field of view since, I use my LX200 GPS 10" more to take pictures.

The DSI color has hot pixels that show up when I do the Take Darks.  Is there a way to remove them? They appear as large color dots. However, final shots that are combined using dark subtraction do not have the hot pixels.  Taking Darks with the DSI color in the monochrome setting does not have those large hot pixels.  I have searched the web and have not found how to remove the hot or stuck pixels without investing more money.

Also, I know how to do the preview in Envisage with longer exposures but I have read and viewed people stating they took the photo using a 30-sec exposure with the DSI.  I cannot figure out how to take the actual photo that is processed over 15-sec.  The AutoStar Envisage software only previews over 15-sec and to stack and process is max at 15-secs.  Other than using Nebulosity to take pictures longer than 15-sec I do not understand how Envisage can take over 15-sec.  If I use Nebulosity then how do you take the darks and bias.  Is it the same as with the DSLR.  I know how to do it with my DSLR.

Any input would be helpful.   

#2 E Sully

E Sully

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:37 PM

If you mean you want to actually fix the pixel itself, You can't get them fixed.  That is why taking dark frames and removing them from the final image is done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users