3 replies to this topic

#1 BBQedIguana

BBQedIguana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:53 PM

Hi everyone,

I have a Dec #39 motor on my LX6 mount, which is a little motor box that attaches to the left fork and then uses two plastic gears to move the Dec axis.

My question is: has anyone created a clutch mechanism that would allow me to manually twist the Dec knob and have the gears disengaged? I would suspect it is bad for me to try and use the manual Dec knob when the gears are connected (and thus transferring torque from the big gear into the small gear and then back into the motor) - probably a good way to strip something.

Any suggestions? I've Googled this one pretty good and haven't found anything yet. Thanks! :)

Rick in Canada (eh!)

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2884 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:19 PM

Hi Rick,

If that is an external drive, can you take a picture of the system and post it here?  If we do not know specifically about your scope, seeing a picture might trigger some ideas.

Bill

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 BBQedIguana

BBQedIguana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:54 PM

Hi Bill,

Actually I just did something even better - I dug out my owner's manual! On page 24 (of the Meade Premier Series Instruction Manual) it says:

"The Declination slow-motion system is designed to be used manually without disengaging the motor. The Teflon gear will slip, allow manual override. To use the manual slow-motion Declination control, simply turn the Declination slow-motion knob as if the motor were not attached."

I gave it a try and it seemed to work fine. WHEW!

Who knew reading the manual would have my answer? What's next? I'll stop for directions when I get lost...?! LOL!

Thanks!

Rick

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2884 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:05 PM

A quote of a few of my friends, back in college, was:  "When all else fails, read the directions." :)

• BBQedIguana likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users