5 replies to this topic

#1 BBQedIguana

BBQedIguana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 03:55 AM

Hi everyone,

I just joined up to this forum. I have a 1992(ish) 2080 OTA mounted on an LX6 mount. Since my OTA is f/10, I'd call my setup a 2080 LX6 Premier - and it works wonderfully! It replaces an Explore Scientific ED-102 that I used to have, but I found the 4" APO, while excellent optically, was just too small in aperture. So I sold it and bought the 2080 OTA (the coatings on which are still excellent and so are the mirrors!) and I put it on a EQ5 mount (Skywatcher). That setup worked great, but I really missed the nostalgia of the original Meade fork mount experience (my scope before the APO was a Meade 2120 LX6 Premier). So I found a set of LX6 forks, a wedge and a field tripod and now I have this:

scope-meade-2080-lx6.jpg

I also picked up the excellent Meade Series 5000 2" dielectric star diagonal for my scope. For eyepieces, I went with mostly Tele Vue Plössls, along with a Fujiyama 6mm Ortho for high power observing:

My-Eyepieces.png

Anyway, the whole rig works really well. I picked up an old school (black box) Kendrick dew removal system so my observing sessions can go all night. The only thing I have left to pick up for my kit is a decent observing chair. Right now I'm using an old wooden stool which works fine, but I'd prefer one of those chairs where the seat can go up and down a bit.

Cheers!

Rick in Canada (eh!)

• RickScofield and Denvergen like this

#2 E Sully

E Sully

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:46 AM

Very nice setup.  Enjoy the views.

• RickScofield likes this

#3 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2954 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 01 April 2017 - 01:33 PM

Hi Rick!

Good stuff you have there!  A good astronomy chair can really help extend how long you can observe. :)

Bill Steen

• RickScofield likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#4 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 01 April 2017 - 04:05 PM

Hi Rick,
Very functional setup and the addition of a good chair will help you extent your viewing time. IT made allot of difference for me but then I'm an old man... Good Luck and save your ' loonies eh'.

RickScofield
  • BBQedIguana likes this

#5 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 01 April 2017 - 04:14 PM

Here is a picture of my chairIMG_0142.JPG
  • BBQedIguana likes this

#6 BBQedIguana

BBQedIguana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:09 PM

I am thinking of making my own chair similar to a CatsPerch chair:

cpfrwicu.jpg

I also plan on building a trunk for my 2080 + LX6 to go in (right now they get wrapped up in a thick towel before going in my car's boot).

Good thing I'm pretty handy with a Skill-saw! LOL! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users