#1 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationKillen, Alabama, USA

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:45 AM

I have been wanting a set of these for a while but did not want to spend the money.  Well, Highpoint Scientific had a set of ZWO Ha, OIII and SII narrowband filters on sale and I went for it.  Tried out the Ha filter last night on M42 and this is the result. It is 17 images stacked at ISO 3200 with an exposure of 75 seconds each along with 7 darks.  Still got a long way to go learning how to use and stack these babies!

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• 3-28 M42 Ha.jpg

• RickScofield likes this

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:55 PM

Thanks for sharing, Steve! :)  I will be interested in seeing how these work out for you.  I am thinking that is what the NASA people do to get all the dazzling images they do from Hubble.

Bill

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:02 AM

This is the Ha shot and full color shot combined. Can't wait to shoot it with the other filters and see what that looks like!  Boy I'm having fun!

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• M42 combined raw 2 PS.jpg

• RickScofield and spiral like this

#4 E Sully

E Sully

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:58 AM

Really nice Steve.  Couple of questions.  Are you using a focal reducer with your setup?  Where are you installing the filters into your setup?

Weather by me in NY is still poor.  I might be able to get out Sunday, but even on a good night my yard doesn't give much area to look at.  It can be a frustrating hobby.

#5 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:34 PM

Yes, the FR screws onto the scope. I used the diagonal mirror with this set-up which attached to the FR.  The filter then screws into the 1.25" T-Adaptor and attaches to the camera which is then inserted into the diagonal.  I could have probably left the diagonal off and attached the T-Adaptor directly to the FR and caught a little more light. 

This hobby is only as frustrating as you let it be.  You have to remember that the stars are always going to be there whether it's a clear night or overcast.  The glorious wonders created by God might be missed on one night, but they will be made up with other wonders on another night.

Steve

#6 E Sully

E Sully

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:52 AM

Thanks Steve.  Sunday is predicted to be the first nice day in a while here.  I have used the ETX a few times over the winter since it is easy to set up.  I am hoping to get the LX out and take a look around.  If the weather works out I may try the old D70 for a trial picture run. 

• SBacon likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users