#1 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationKillen, Alabama, USA

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:15 AM

Shot this last night before the big 'ol moon came up. Meade 8" LX90 / Canon Rebel T5 / Meade 6.3 focal reducer / 16 shots / 90 second exposures / ISO 3200.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• DL 16 x 90 sec ISO 3200 11-16-16.JPG

• RickScofield and spiral like this

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2744 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:58 PM

That is a lot of galaxies in one shot, Steve!! :) 

Nice work!

Bill

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:02 PM

There is at least 10 that I could identify.  Here is a labeled shot.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• DL 16 x 90 sec ISO 3200 11-16-16 Labeled.jpg

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2744 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:03 PM

I don't know about labels for them, but I think there is at least one, maybe two over near the left edge, roughly an inch in, and about on level with Stephan's Quinitet.  Really nice image!

#5 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:38 PM

Bill, You were right. There were 2 more that i missed, I labeled them along with the distances that I could find. Enjoyed this little project. Man, I'm having a blast!

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• DL 16 x 90 sec ISO 3200 11-16-16 Labeled.jpg

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2744 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:53 PM

That is great, Steve! :)

Having a blast?  Oh, man!! I can tell! :D  About like I am having with the little Infinity 80.  I have been modifying it to take it to the next level.  So far, I have found 62 of the Messier Objects from my dark red zone back yard and have taken it to an effective 180X on the Moon, and split both halves of Epsilon Lyrae, the "Double-Double."  Not bad for an entry level 80mm f/5 refractor!

Keep it up, Steve!  

Best Regards,

Bill

• RickScofield likes this

#7 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 19 November 2016 - 06:58 AM

Steve,
You and Spiral have both been doing a fantastic job with your photography and all with an LX 90's ,VERY IMPRESSIVE.
Please keep posting them and thank you for sharing.
RickScofield
  • spiral likes this

#8 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:34 PM

Thanks Bill.  I know you do a lot of your observing by star hopping. I only wish I could do that!  I envy you that you have that skill.  I have to cheat and use Audiostar or the point and click method on my laptop to find ANYTHING!  Sounds like you are taking that refractor to it's highest potential.  I have a Meade Model 390 refractor with slow motion altazimuth mount which I enjoyed for years just gawking at the planets and moon.  I have promised it to one of my grandsons. Continue to keep us posted on your observations. I really enjoy reading them.

Rick, thanks for your kind words.  When I first got my LX90 I was disappointed with what I could actually see through it.  I was expecting a full color view of all those deep sky objects that I had seen in advertisements, magazines and astronomy books ever since I was a kid.  After all, this was a serious telescope and a sizeable investment in "just a hobby".  Of course stars, clusters, double stars and the planets are a visual feast with this thing. My first view of the Ring Nebula was WOW but ... where is the color?  I soon found out that the human eye cannot see the colors in those deep space objects that has become my favorites over the years.  However, the camera can, so I dove into astrophotography and I love it!  It is definitely a learning experience but after a year with the Meade LX90, and in my humble opinion, it has enabled me to take shots of those deep space objects that rival the pics I have enjoyed for years!

Steve

• spiral likes this

#9 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2744 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:45 PM

Hi Steve!

Thanks for the kind words!  I have been having trouble getting sections of my log to copy over into replies.  I may have to try and make a pdf and attach it.  I do hope to put together the whole thing, make them all have the same kind of format, and then attach it to a post.

Best Regards,

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users