#1 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:31 AM

Turned my camera 90* and was able to get Orion and Running Man both on the sensor..I wished I would have framed it better..I will try again tonight hopefully.. 38 frames at 6400 ISO..12 sec each.. LX90 ACF 10", Antares reducer and Canon T3I..

Attached Thumbnails

• orion man 4 C @!@!.jpg

• SBacon likes this

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2767 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:17 PM

I don't think I have seen those two in the same image before!  I have not seen that many images of the Running Man, and they have all be separate from the Orion Nebulas.  That is an interesting approach.  :)

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:30 PM

I don't think I have seen those two in the same image before!  I have not seen that many images of the Running Man, and they have all be separate from the Orion Nebulas.  That is an interesting approach.  :)

Bill Steen

Thanks! Already set up again for tonight..Hopefully I can get it framed a little better.. :D

#4 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 06 November 2016 - 04:13 PM

Are your using your moonlight focuser or did you sell it? Are you still considering an LX 200 ?

#5 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationKillen, Alabama, USA

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:46 AM

GREAT shot Spiral!

Steve

• spiral likes this

#6 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 07 November 2016 - 07:53 AM

Are your using your moonlight focuser or did you sell it? Are you still considering an LX 200 ?

Yes, I have been experimenting with it..This pic was done with the focuser..I believe the reducer spacing is a lot better at around 88mm..With the Moonlite it is around 105mm and it screws into the focuser tube..I have to crop more out of the final pic because it has a lot of vignetting.. I took more pics last night without the focuser and will compare these with the ones taken with the Moonlite..The Moonlite is an Awesome focuser and if I could use the standard reducer it wouldn't be an issue..For planetary and lunar video, pics you can't beat the Moonlite..

At the moment I'm not considering a LX200.. I have considered trying an X=wedge with my LX90 and guiding, but I think I would be a little shaky on the wedge because of it being a 10"..

#7 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 11:44 AM

Go for the wedge Spiral.  You won't regret it.

Steve

• spiral likes this

#8 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:21 AM

Go for the wedge Spiral.  You won't regret it.

Steve

Steve, With a good polar alignment, how long can you go without guiding on the wedge? You have the regular wedge, correct? How stable is it with your 8"? If I did go with a wedge I would do auto-guiding though..

#9 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 06:25 AM

With a good alignment I can stack about 70% of 2 minute exposures.  2.5 minutes around 50% and 3 minutes very few are without trails.  I added a polar scope to aid in alignment and it really helped. I do have the regular wedge.  I emailed Meade to see if this was normal and they said tracking depended on a good alignment, which I already knew.  As for stability, I have everything mounted on a 4" x 4" post set in concrete with a side post for stability.  I have attained 2 minute shots even with a little wind.  My next investment will be an off axis guider and camera.

Steve

• spiral likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users