#1 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 04 November 2016 - 06:50 AM

I am having issues with vibration with my LX 90 12" , it is sitting on top of a Meade standard tripod however I am wondering if a Meade heavy tripod part # 07017 would help reduce the vibration? I know that allot of my vibration is due to the fact that the 12" OTA is probably pushing the capabilities of the forks but I am scrounging for help to reduce as much of this as possible. What do the experts think?
Thank you, RickScofield

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:11 AM

Hi Rick,

The extra mass and strength of the heavier tripod will certainly help.

Adding some additional weight to your existing tripod in the middle, maybe at the brace level, then putting some anti-vibration pads under the feet can help dissipate the energy in the vibration.  The extra weight in the middle serves as a dynamic fulcrum, forcing more energy into the pads, where it can be absorbed.  You can either buy them or make your own.

I have made pads by taking square pieces of wood, maybe 3.5 by 3.5, by .75 (cut square pieces off the end of a 1 by 4) or maybe something a bit larger, then cut up a mouse pad (the thin ones they sell today) into two inch squares.  run a bead of silicon window caulk around the bottom edge of a piece and stick it on the board.  Make a pile of the pad squares four deep.  Stick one of those under each tripod foot.  I made a set for my Polaris 130 with five layers of mouse pad material and it was a little bit wobbly, like a soft shock absorber on a car.  However, with the heavier weight of your rig, that fifth pad thickness might be good.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Bill

• RickScofield likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 04:57 PM

BIll,
Thank you I will try the extra weight on my current tripod to see if that helps. I have been using antivibration pads for sometime now so I won't need to buy or make any. I like your idea for the home made pads using mouse pad material, sounds effective. I am not real excited about running out and buying a $650.00 tripod. Will give the extra weight a try. I used that idea with my ETX 90 and it helped.
Thank you again and I hope your enjoying retirement.
RIckScofield

#4 wardr77

wardr77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 12:28 PM

Hello Rick,

My LX90 12 is mounted on a Meade Giant field tripod, and I do not notice any issues with vibration. Of course with a dew shield on a slight breeze will cause the scope to vibrate a bit, but it does settle very quickly. Unfortunately I am unable to provide a comparison to the standard tripod, but I do think the GFT would be a very worthwhile investment, the 12" just does not look 'right' on the standard tripod.

Best regards
Rob

#5 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 04:47 PM

Thank you Bob,
I am going to try Bill's suggestion first. I understand about the dew shield and the wind and realize nothing will stop that. I have to admit I have been looking at tripods searching for a good price but can't find one for less than $750.00 so will see what happens. Thank you again,
RickScofield

#6 wardr77

wardr77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:32 AM

No problem Rick,

Out of interest how are you finding the 12 in comparison to the 8? Is there a big difference in the views you can now see, are you pleased you upgraded?

Regards,
Rob

#7 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 05:48 PM

Rob,
there is no doubt that I am able to see faint objects better with the 12" as it does gather more light. The 8" is my traveler and my 12" I use at home. I plan on keeping them both but I do need something to take care of the vibration of the 12" so I will give Bills suggestion a try and if that doesn't work then I'll be getting a the heavier tripod.
RIckScofield

#8 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 05:16 PM

Well I tried additional weight as BIll suggested, added a 10 lbs bar bell weight at the brace level but that did not take care of my problem, so I purchased a Meade giant tripod that weighs 50 lbs and that took care of almost all of my vibration. So I was enjoying my new found performance when my AudioStar started acting up slewing incorrectly, changing speeds, and then just went dark. I tried using it again and it worked for a short time and then failed again. I tested my cable and power supply and all are fine. I called Meade as I have about 25 days of warranty left and they are sending me a new one.

THANK YOU MEADE for taking care of this!
  • SBacon likes this

#9 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 21 November 2016 - 06:40 PM

Looks like it failed at exactly the right time! ;) 

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#10 wardr77

wardr77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:38 AM

Hello Rick,

Glad the GFT is working for you. Although I have not tried them Meade supply anti vibration pads for the tripod feet, maybe that's a consideration for the future to further minimise vibration.

Ref new audiostars I got a spare recently in a sale and it cured the surge issue I mentioned about a year ago, so that was good!

All the best
Rob

#11 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 06:18 PM

Rob,
I was concerned when I received the tripod, I opened the box and the legs were not stainless or Crome steel, the legs were painted black. In checking with Meade they indicated that the tripod was changed sometime ago however they had not updated the photos of them yet. I have no problem with the black legs and in fact believe they will be easier to care for. I am very happy with it, it is extremely stable and easy to level, but it does weight allot. As far as vibration pads are concerned I have been using them for a long time and would recommend them highly. That's great that you were able to pick up another Audiostar controller and it solved a problem for you , kinda of a cheap fix I'm guessing.
You take care,enjoy the night sky, have fun with your LX90, and thank you for the advise on the tripod.
RickScofield

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users