#1 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:31 AM

Our Moon 10/16/16.. LX90 ACF 10" , Antares 6.3 reducer(on first shot) and Canon T3I.. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8787 PS.jpg
  • IMG_8930 PS.jpg

• RickScofield and SBacon like this

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2763 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:22 AM

Nice shots on both posts. :)  I am going to be taking quite a few pictures of the Moon myself, as well as open clusters, as I practice with the LPI-G.

A thought crossed my mind, looking at Copernicus.  The object hit toward the South and the rays seem longest headed generally North.  That makes the object coming up from underneath.  I am thinking that most asteroids come in relatively in the normal orbital plane, while something coming in from the Oort Cloud and maybe the Kuiper Belt can show up from just about any angle.  I am wondering if the object that hit was most likely a comet, rather than an asteroid.

What do you think?

Bill Steen

• RickScofield and SBacon like this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:47 AM

Nice shots on both posts.  :)  I am going to be taking quite a few pictures of the Moon myself, as well as open clusters, as I practice with the LPI-G.

A thought crossed my mind, looking at Copernicus.  The object hit toward the South and the rays seem longest headed generally North.  That makes the object coming up from underneath.  I am thinking that most asteroids come in relatively in the normal orbital plane, while something coming in from the Oort Cloud and maybe the Kuiper Belt can show up from just about any angle.  I am wondering if the object that hit was most likely a comet, rather than an asteroid.

What do you think?

Bill Steen

That's an interesting thought..Probably so, but whatever hit there was huge!  :D

• SBacon likes this

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2763 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:41 PM

That's an interesting thought..Probably so, but whatever hit there was huge!  :D

Definitely!  I certainly would not one of those landing in my back yard!

Bill

• SBacon likes this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users