Forget my last post.I just ran the scope all the way up and the OTA still moves side to side.I'll have to see about correcting this.
Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:34 AM
I got another neoprine washer for the other side(setting circle)that's cone shaped so that it adds to the pressure against the axle and that seems to have stableized the tube.Meantime I ran the scope at low speed ,#1 shows the word guide so I put the speed to #2 with a line level on the tube.It took about 8 minutes but the tube leveled off,HOORAY! and thank you. Don
Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:24 AM
Has anyone had this problem with the axle shafts moving side to side.I have it pretty much corrected with the washers but I would like it to be fixed the correct way.Do I need a new fork?
Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:20 PM
in the older DS mounts, in the AZ section, there is a post that pushes against the plastic gear frame on one side. What it does is that it holds the frame in place when the final worm gear pushes around the axis. If that post is moved out of place, then the whole gear train can shift some. I have not pulled an ETX mount apart so I don't know what it has in it, but you might look for something that could hold a gear train frame in place but does not quite do that.
Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:37 AM
Bill thanks for answereing and I sent this info forward now i'll wait to hear from George(repair man).
Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:34 AM
Bill; After looking carefully at the DEC side I noted that the ring on the axle shaft seemed to be very thin after looking at pics ,figuring that the ring pressures against the bearing while pulling the axle at the same time it didn't seem that the axle was being pressured enough to lock everything together therefore causing over tightening of the lock knob.So here is what I did,first I bought 1/2" plastic washer thicker than the thin ring on the DEC and 1 fiber washer.I put the fiber washer(about 3/8" in diameter) on the setting circle side to stop the disc from rubbing against the end of the axle and 1/4" pieces of duct tape about 1 1/4" long on the back of the setting circle knob for gripping, then I put grooves on each side of the plastic washer with a small 3 corner file and roughed up the plastic washer with 150 auto sandpaper(auto sandpaper doesn't shed the sand) and put it on the DEC side instead of the thin ring.The setting circle is locked better with the tape and now the DEC pulls better stopping the OTA from shifting side to side when moving up or down,the knob locks with less stress and the OTA is solid(does not move when grabbed on the back).Right now it has solved the problem at a cost of about $1.00.I hope this helps other readers. Let me know what your thoughts are on this please. Don
Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:09 PM
Sounds like you found a good fix. You have taken up some space on one side and found a way to make it grip better, then made yourself some extra space on the other side to help with issues there.
As time passes, if you will, post how well it works and if you have to go back and make any adjustments for other people's information.
Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:49 AM
Bill; Yes, adjustments will be made as I am learning as I go along.Yesterday I took the DEC apart cause I wanted to make sure there wasn't an excess amt of grease. The force to tighten the knob still seems excessive.When I had put it together the first time I used a pic on a C/N post that showed the stop with the( collar) facing outward when putting the washer and gears back together but it still seems that there's more force on the knob than I would like.This time I put the collar facing inward and I seemed to use less force to tighten.I'm wondering if turning the stop around will defeat it's purpose.I'm asking if anyone has a pic of the setup or has an answere to help out on this. Thanks!!
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users