#1 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationKillen, Alabama, USA

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:24 PM

Here's my feeble attempt at the Bubble Nebula.  Needless to say it only looks like a partial bubble.  This is a total of 114 minutes of exposure at ISO 3200.  I processed the raw images in DSS in Kappa-Sigma mode with 2x Drizzle enabled and I still only got a partial bubble.  Any suggestions on getting the rest of the bubble to show up?  I've never tried filters and don't know if that would help or not.  Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• Bubble Neb 57 x 120s ISO 3200.JPG

• RickScofield likes this

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:47 PM

I will be interested to hear the recommendations from the experts on here!  Maybe it needs more soapy water?... I don't know! ;) 

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:55 AM

114 minutes should be more than enough to bring it out even on a 1 shot color chip.

Post processing if done correctly can bring a lot of things out

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#4 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:00 PM

Gee Mark, I really thought you would have been the one to give better advice. If there was more detail to bring out in post-processing I think I could have done it.  It just wasn't there.  I looked at your pics of the nebula and saw some pretty good detail, but of course your scope is a 10" and mine's an 8".  You don't give any detail on your shots so I don't know if you used a filter or not.  What I am going to do at the next opportunity I get is to shoot at a higher ISO to gain more detail.  Of course that also generates more noise in DSLRs but I may be able to off set it in post-processing.

Steve

#5 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:33 AM

Sorry for the short post Steve.

Most of my bubble shots were done with mixed optics from  80 mm and 102 mm APO etx 125 and the 10 inch.

As always if you have any questions please feel free to IM me at any time.

In the past I used to keep detailed info on each image but I lost all of that on a main PC crash.

If you have time e mail me one of your stacks on the bubble and ill take a look at it and will be able to tell more.

It may be light pollution causing the lack of information or an improper stretch.I have shot this in traditional LRGB and in HaLRGB.

Again apologies for the short post.

• SBacon likes this
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#6 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:32 AM

Thanks Mark for your added response and no need to apologize.  I apologize if I sounded persnickety but I am an old fart and I get that way sometimes! ;)  Anyway, I shot it again 2 nights ago at a higher ISO and got maybe a little better results.  I believe the real problem is with the camera.  It isn't modified so it only picks up about 20% of the red colors in these faint objects based on info off the internet.  Using an Ha filter is supposed to help DSLRs that are unmodified.  That's another $150 investment in this hobby.  Does it ever end??? 

Thanks again for your help!

Steve

#7 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2809 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 06 October 2016 - 12:45 PM

It ends when you run out of money! ;) 

Bill Steen

• SBacon likes this