4 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 06:05 PM

Francois's success at astro-imaging with his very nice image of M-13 is impressive. With the addition of modern cameras, the limits of what can be done with an LS alt/az mount are being expanded.

I no longer use an eyepiece for observing. Instead I'm using a Mallincam Skyraider DSc, an MFR-8 focal reducer, an Orion Skyglow filter and I'm viewing on my laptop, 

I've included an image of M27. 5 live stacked exposures of 5 sec. each, unprocessed.I live in a white light pollution zone.

Bob Arnold

Attached Files

• Wolfgang likes this

Meade LS-8 ACF, ZWO ASI120, Mallincam Skyraider DSc, Ipad Air-SkySafari Pro, SkyFi, and an assortment of had to have items that don't get used.

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 31 August 2016 - 06:40 PM

Ultimately, I will be looking into that.

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 fjhdavid

fjhdavid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:32 PM

thank you for sharing, it is a very nice picture!!!!  (it will be my next target :) )

Bob, I use also a camera with a fisrt laptop near the telescope and a second one inside home (thanks to teamviewer as remote tool....)

You are right, the LS series is able to do DSO imaging without the need of time consuming equatorial alignement and an additional (refractor + camera) for guiding...

the only things is to image not to far from the E or W meridian in order to minimize field rotation, but it is ok for frames up to 60s.

another mandatory equipement is the focal reducer!  I will take a look to your model (I have the 6.3 antares)

your orion filter looks very promising also!

Francois

#4 fjhdavid

fjhdavid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:15 AM

this is M27 from my location (France). I did the pictures during holidays, last week.

9x60s stacking with Lucy Richardson deconvolution

The angle of the DSO is not the same as yours; Bob, are you living in Australia?

Fran├žois

PS: my APN is not defiltred, so I think I lack most of the red color...In addition, the pictures are converted to .bmp (8 bit/channel) in order to save place, but the originals are in 14bits per channel (APN T2i)

Attached Files

#5 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:27 PM

Francois,

Very nice image of M27.

No, I live in Philadelphia, USA.

Your comment about the angle of the DSO is interesting, Given the distance to the object, I would guess that the object would look the same anywhere on the Earth. If you mean the direction that the dumbbell's "ends" point. It's probably a coincidence. I think that it would likely depend on how the camera is rotated relative to the optical tube.

Regards, Bob

Meade LS-8 ACF, ZWO ASI120, Mallincam Skyraider DSc, Ipad Air-SkySafari Pro, SkyFi, and an assortment of had to have items that don't get used.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users