#1 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:40 PM

I am looking for some guidance regarding the use of counter weights on both my LX 90 12" and 8". I am concerned that with some of the heavy barlows and eyepices I'm using, mostly 2" that I am stressing my telescope mounts and impacting performance. Thanking in advance. RickScofield

#2 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationNiefern, N48°54`31`` E8°47`10`` Germany

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:51 AM

Hi Rick,
I think there is something for you.

http://jan.eaglecree.../weightset.html

and

http://jan.eaglecree...rg/balance.html

greeting
Wolfgang

• RickScofield likes this

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

LS6 " Meade Zero Image-Shift Microfocuser, Mark III Hyperion Clickstop Zoom 8-24mm, Canon EOS 1100D, Sony DCS V3, Reducer Antares f / 6.3,

#3 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 01:45 PM

Wolfgang,
THANK YOU, I will review.

#4 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:01 PM

Wolfgang,
This information is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a Million. I wish you dark nights and clear skies.
Sincerely, RickScofield

#5 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationNiefern, N48°54`31`` E8°47`10`` Germany

Posted 13 August 2016 - 11:32 PM

Thanks Rick and I am pleased to have me help them. This site is also a good azimuth adjustment and I will rebuild it for my LS 6 in equatorial mode.
Greetings from Germany
wolfgang

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

LS6 " Meade Zero Image-Shift Microfocuser, Mark III Hyperion Clickstop Zoom 8-24mm, Canon EOS 1100D, Sony DCS V3, Reducer Antares f / 6.3,

#6 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:58 PM

The weight set he posted is exactly what I use on my LX200 10 inch Rick.The only mod I made was drilling and taping the medium sixed weight wor a 1/2 13 thread and adding a rod to it and added a weight on it for a 3 d weight like in his second link.With this setup on my 10 inch and my heaviest scope mounted on to the 102 mm apo and the camera/filterwheel and guide scope and that camera I have had zero issues in 10 years of use.The main thing is no matter the weight added as you can really add some weight when you get like me is if you keep it balanced good and slow the slew speed down to medium you should never have an issue.I never slew my scope at max speed.I chose a speed that didnt tax the gears and it still slews fast enough to get where im going.You can adjust max slew speed in the hand paddle.

you can see the weights well for the most mart in these 2 images  the 2nd image shows the 3d weight

DSC02855.JPGand

DSC02856.JPG

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#7 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:27 PM

Mark,
I won't have near the weight you have since I am not taking photos yet so I don't have all those bells and whistles hanging on the OTA, however I am using allot of heavy 2" eyepices and 2" barlows, a larger Finder scope and and a JMI focuser and noticed that the OTA was out of balance on the eyepiece side. I do have an question about your comments, you indicated you use a slow slew speed to reduce stress on the mechanics which make sense to me however with an LX 90 I can only change the slew speed by going to Utilities in setup and select" quiet slew" or am I missing something? Or is that a feature available on the LX 200? THANK YOU for your advice and guidance it is greatly appriciated.
RIckScofield

#8 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2955 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:12 PM

Having a slew speed selection of "8" as well as the normal "9" or the quiet slew speed of "7" would be nice.

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#9 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:09 PM

BIll,Mark,Wolfgang,
I could only find " QUIET SLEW " which is a substantial reduction. That is all that's I could find on an LX90 but that fine and will work. I have no clue what's possible on the LS or LX 200. I ordered the 2 weight sets for both of my scop, Meade 1403 for the 12" and Meade 1401 for the 8". THANK YOU all for the advice and guidiance.
RickScofield
  • Mark Sibole likes this

#10 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:37 PM

Then go with the quiet slew.Anything to reduce the max slew is golden.And yes with these coiunter weights you will eliminate a back heavy scope.Anything you can do to balance the scope is a bonus.Im not sure if you use batterys or a power ford but with the west arm heavier due to motor and electronice on the LX200 the matterys go in each fork arm so what I did was got some cardbopard tube paper towel roll and added weights into that and placed then where the batterys go on the east farm to equal the weight out,Anything you can do to balance will eleviate stress in the mount.As you can see im a bit over loaded on my scope according to factory specs but with the proper balance and slow slew speeds Ive has no issues in 15 years  (Knock on wood)

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#11 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:38 PM

If you need any more help or info Rick I believe you have my phone number.Feel free to give me a call any time and ill always help you out...

BIll,Mark,Wolfgang,
I could only find " QUIET SLEW " which is a substantial reduction. That is all that's I could find on an LX90 but that fine and will work. I have no clue what's possible on the LS or LX 200. I ordered the 2 weight sets for both of my scop, Meade 1403 for the 12" and Meade 1401 for the 8". THANK YOU all for the advice and guidiance.
RickScofield

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

#12 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:37 PM

Mark,
15 years means your doing something right and it also proves your approach and yes I have your number but I'll hold my calls to you for real problems. Thank you for the guidiance, seems like the more I learn about all this the less I know but I do know one thing I am really hooked on astronomy.

Post Script:
Mark allot of us have seen photos taken by you and your scope and they are a work of art. Meade thinks so to.
  • Mark Sibole likes this

#13 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:03 PM

Wolfgang,Bill and Mark,
I wanted to follow up, I Received my weight sets and after much reading and trial and error I believe It truly does reduce the wear on bearings. I believe I am actually seeing performance improvement in my go to's. A balanced scope just makes more sense. I also am using a reduced slew speed as well in an effort to reduce wear and tear and maybe extend the life of my LX90,s
THANK YOU ALL for the great advice and guidiance.
RIckScofield

#14 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2955 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:07 PM

Rick,

You are welcome!  By the way, I passed on a suggestion to create a "Moderate Slew" in the Star Navigator handset that uses Speed 8, with the reasons you have for your LX 90's and the reasons I have for the LX 80 mount I bought.  Hopefully, it will bear fruit sometime down the road when modifying that programming has its turn.  That way, there would be a "Fast Slew" (default) at Speed 9, "Moderate Slew" at Speed 8, and "Quiet Slew" at Speed 7.

Bill

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users