3 replies to this topic

#1 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2736 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:53 PM

Just thought I would give a bit of an update on my experiences with the LX 70 6M Optical Tube I recently purchased.  I have delayed reporting this until I could get images or maps of Mars that covered the whole surface in great enough detail.

One night, a few weeks ago, I saw something on Mars that looked like very faint disks on the surface

in a pattern that somehow looked familiar.  The three disks I saw formed a properly proportioned "L" shape. Later, I realized that the pattern was the same as the giant volcanoes, just reversed from side to side, with the farthest south volcano missing.  I could barely see something at either end of the line formed by the two bottom disks, but could not really make out anything specific.

I have really doubted that I was actually seeing the volcanoes and really expected what I saw to be impact craters or some other feature.  I have thought the contrast difference would be too little to actually see them. However, I have looked at every map of Mars I have been able to find to date and cannot find anything else that matches the pattern I saw except for the volcanoes.

As you might expect, I am very pleased with this scope.

Bill Steen

• RickScofield and SBacon like this
Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2360 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 02:00 PM

Have you tried your Imager on Mars yet or did you loose that in the theft of your other scope and things???That imager would give you some real nice images of mars.

Here is one with the camera on my 10 inch at f/20

marsoct28framed.jpg

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2736 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 15 August 2016 - 03:31 PM

I still have the imager.  I have received the second hand LX 80 and hope to have it up and running in two telescope mode, with the LX 70 8 inch reflector on one side and the six inch Mak on the other.  Since the theft, I have not had a mount that could track for any of the larger scopes I bought as replacements.....reason for the LX 80.

I am pretty tied up with non-astronomy things right now, but plan on being "loaded for bear" the next time Mars is in a reasonably favorable position.

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#4 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2360 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:35 AM

Ah ok well remember for planetary you dont need to be tracking that well and actually some drift seems to work better for planets.When you use envisage set it up to auto stack.Thats what I do.Actually in settings i generally set for medium sharpening and set quality to zero as I can get every frame.If you need help on it when you are ready drop me a line ill walk you through it.Its stupid simple..

Regards

Mark

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users