#1 fjhdavid

fjhdavid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 09:08 AM

Hello,

I don't know if this feature is present in 1.6a, but I found a way to store GPS coord between two sessions.

If you stay always at the same place (parking and unparking your scope from the garage of course), you just have to:

- choose "no" in "Setup/Preferences/auto GPS" menu

- "acquire GPS" the first time

- switch off the scope (no "park place" is necessary,  just switch off)

When you will switch on the scope, the LS-6 will ask you to validate a site name (it is the site name of the nearest place from your GPS coord), but don't be afraid and just enter "yes", and then "yes" another time (for time and date validation), and you will be surprised that the LS-6 will choose your exact GPS coord (do a "mode" key and check the lat and long).

Then, each time you use your scope, you won't have to wait for the "acquire GPS"....(sometimes during a long long time....and nervous breakdown...lol)

Tip: you have to use C-cell in order to store these infos between two sessions. (C-cells will work for 1 year or 2 !). Without C-cell, the ls-6 store GPS coord for 5 or 6 hours only...more than needed to change the C-cell))

Hope this helps

François

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2749 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 07 August 2016 - 12:14 PM

Francois,

That sounds like a nice improvement!

Thanks for the information!

Bill Steen

Bill Steen, Sky Hunters' Haven Observatory, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

#3 gfamily

gfamily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 01:00 PM

I really don't have this experience picking up the location from GPS takes a long time - I find it's really quick to pick up, never more than two or three minutes. 

And I have removed the cells from the scope, I really don't want to have one leak any sort of goo into the scope.

#4 Bob Arnold

Bob Arnold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 06:57 PM

I have a different opinion on the batteries. I replace them every year even though they never get depleted.  I always run the scope with a power supply or a 12 v car jump starter. If I know I won't be using the scope for an extended period, I will remove them to prevent parasitic draining.

Keeping the batteries installed helps in getting a quicker GPS fix, but a better reason is so that if and when the external power connector gets accidentally pulled out, the scope won't lose power and have to be realigned

The cost of new fresh batteries is about $10. The cost of a new LS-8 is still about $2k. 

Meade LS-8 ACF, ZWO ASI120, Mallincam Skyraider DSc, Ipad Air-SkySafari Pro, SkyFi, and an assortment of had to have items that don't get used.

#5 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationNiefern, N48°54`31`` E8°47`10`` Germany

Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:59 AM

I can gfamily and Bob Arnold only agree, also I've never had problems with GPS reception. Wait was never more than 2 minutes and my location to the west is not visible, because the house is in between.
Forgot my LS never operated with batteries, leaving Beware and thus to cause harm!
greetings from Germany

wolfgang

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

LS6 " Meade Zero Image-Shift Microfocuser, Mark III Hyperion Clickstop Zoom 8-24mm, Canon EOS 1100D, Sony DCS V3, Reducer Antares f / 6.3,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users