#1 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationKillen, Alabama, USA

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:14 AM

I think it would be interesting to see other members equipment setup. 

Here's mine . . .

Meade 8" LX90-ACF

Meade Equatorial Wedge/Adapter Plate

Meade Series 4000 Eyepiece and Filter Set

Canon Rebel T5 DSLR Camera w/remote timer

18-55/75-300mm lenses for wide field shots

Adapters for prime focus and eyepiece projection shots

Dell laptop running Stellarium for telescope control

DIY dew shield

DIY electric focuser

DIY camera piggyback mount

Comfy swivel chair

And of course here in the South you've got to have that fan going for relief from the humidity and to keep the night bugs at bay!

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160731_200926.jpg
  • 20160731_200744.jpg

• spiral likes this

#2 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationNiefern, N48°54`31`` E8°47`10`` Germany

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:27 AM

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the information. It is good to read that there are still a LS-users here in the forum.
What success there with the accuracy of tracking and how accurate the alignment? A star or two star alignment?
I'm currently working on a better azimuth adjustment in my setup.
greetings from Germany
wolfgang

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

LS6 " Meade Zero Image-Shift Microfocuser, Mark III Hyperion Clickstop Zoom 8-24mm, Canon EOS 1100D, Sony DCS V3, Reducer Antares f / 6.3,

#3 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 05:44 AM

I just saw that there is a LX90, forgiveness, came out from an LS, but it is good if this show user their equipment.
greeting
wolfgang

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

LS6 " Meade Zero Image-Shift Microfocuser, Mark III Hyperion Clickstop Zoom 8-24mm, Canon EOS 1100D, Sony DCS V3, Reducer Antares f / 6.3,

#4 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 06:17 AM

Hi Wolfgang,

I use a 2 star alignment in polar mode. I am still working with the setup to attain better tracking. I am only getting about 25% of the pics I am taking without trails or movement. I don't know if this is normal or not but I had hoped that tracking with a wedge setup would have been better. I do hope others will post pics of their equipment. 

Steve

#5 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:53 AM

Hi Steve,
my method is the following:
1. Set the wedge on the latitude, 90 ° minus latitude of your location is equal to the angle at which the wedge has to be set!
For my site are the 90 ° minus 48.54 ° equal to 41.46 °, the angle of the wedge.
2. Polarstern bring the center of an illuminated eyepiece and Polaris exactly in the center of the polar scope. This I do with the polar adjustment of the wedge and the azimuth adjustment of the telescope. If Polarstern in center of the telescope and the Polarstern in the center of the polar scope, then LS switch and bring telescope with the polar adjustment and azimuth adjustment Polaris congruent with the engraving in the polar scope.
3. Confirm with Enter. Telescope moves in the azimuthal direction to stop. Then bring the Polarstern with Handpaddle the center of the illuminated eyepiece and press Enter >> telescope moves to the first alignment star >> bring Handpaddle the Center and then press Enter. Telescope drives for the second alignment star >> bring Handpaddle the center and again press Enter. Done !! And now I can watch. I've Vega (currently at the zenith) with an exposure time of 3 minutes with the Canon 1100d exposed without any star trails!
4. Conclusion: I am very satisfied with the equatorial orientation of the LS.
Another big plus for the equatorial mount of the LS is, I have no problems with the accessories on the tube, thus no collusion with the frame !!!
I'm currently working on improving the azimuth adjustment (currently goes something heavy and difficult). I'll report back.

Sorry for my bad English!!!

Greetings from Germany
Wolfgang

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

#6 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:02 AM

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks so much for your alignment info. Just to be clear, you have a 6" Light Switch telescope mounted on a wedge?

Steve

#7 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:19 AM

Hi Steve,
yes i have a LS 6 "mounted on a wedge See here.:

http://meade4m.com/i...l-mode/?p=23198

Greetings from Germany
Wolfgang

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

#8 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:08 AM

My apologies Wolfgang.  I did see your post and liked your setup.  I especially liked the weight system you made for it. I think I will examine my set-up more closely for weight distribution and maybe do a PEC training.  I did that once but Stellarium did not perform well after the training.  I will let the LX90 do the guiding next time. Thanks again for your input.

Steve

#9 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:49 AM

Hi Steve,
Unfortunately I can not see how the azimuth setting and locking to take place from the pictures. For a proper weight distribution in my opinion, a tripod is essential, as already the stand design with the three legs ensures reliable weight distribution and during the work of the telescope this can not tip.
greeting
wolfgang

Clear Skies

Wolfgang

#10 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:50 PM

http://astronomy.qte.../equipment.html

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#11 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:09 PM

WOW! Nice set-up Mark. Thanks for sharing.

Steve

#12 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:21 AM

Hi Wolfgang,

One more question . . . Are you using a Polar scope as a finder scope?

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users