#1 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:47 PM

Well, after much consideration between the Moonlite and the Feathertouch focuser, I went with the Moonlite. :D .I got the 3 1/4"- tall focal reducer flange with the Tri-knob and shaft lock..Really impressed with the quality of the focuser..It is a beast! Of course, I haven't gotten to use it yet because of the cloudy skies!  It is out of balance now but I plan on de-forking the OTA next year anyway..Hopefully onto an Atlas Pro AZ/EQ..

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN5798.JPG

#2 SBacon

SBacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationKillen, Alabama, USA

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:06 AM

Nice!!  We should see improved pics from you now, if that's possible. ;)

Steve

• spiral likes this

#3 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationBellevue,Nebraska

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:28 PM

Spiral,
Which model focuser did you get? I am very interested.
Thank you RickScofield

#4 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:29 PM

Spiral,
Which model focuser did you get? I am very interested.
Thank you RickScofield

This is what it says on the invoice..Moonlite CS SCT focuser..CS model Flange -Tall focal reducer 3 1/4" Meade thread..CS model .95" travel reducer draw tube..1.2" dual rate,Tri-knob with shaft lock..

The focal reducer actually screws onto the draw tube inside the focuser and moves with the draw tube..I attached a pic to explain it better.. It also rotates and you can adjust collimation on the focuser..I believe it has a 6lb lifting capacity..I still have not used it yet because of the crappy weather here..But just picking it up you can tell the quality of the focuser..I believe it will be one of the best accessories I will ever buy..The price bothered me at first when I was deciding on a focuser..But now that i have it, I can see why they cost what they do...No slack in anything..Very precise..

Attached Thumbnails

• frspecs.jpg

#5 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 11:32 AM

Thank you Spiral  that is just what I needed.  

#6 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 01:50 PM

Spiral,
One other question, do I see a focal reducer inside this unit? If so is it included in the package or do you have to provide you're own? I hope you follow up with all on how this works out for you..

Thank you !! RIckScofield

#7 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 05 August 2016 - 04:08 PM

Spiral,
One other question, do I see a focal reducer inside this unit? If so is it included in the package or do you have to provide you're own? I hope you follow up with all on how this works out for you..

Thank you !! RIckScofield

Yes you see one, but No it is not provided..My Antares 6.3 reducer screws in..It is standard reducer thread in the .95 reducer draw tube, so all reducers should work..I for sure will follow up on how it works..As I understand it from the forums, it is the best focuser on the market along with the Feathertouch in the same style as these..(Not the $265 replacement Feathertouch focusers)..But the Feather touch doesn't have all the features of the Moonlite and cost around $680..With shipping the Moonlite was $382.. And without actually even using it yet, I can tell ya It was well worth the money! I was very,very impressed with it..

#8 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2368 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:30 PM

Always a nice addition.I use the Meade zero shift focuser on my 10 inch LX200 and my refractors.

Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#9 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:15 PM

Spiral,
Have you done any trials with your new focuser yet? I am really interested in these and have been talking to the folks that build and sell them and I am impressed with their attention to detail and the apparent quality of there products.PLEASE keep me posted.
Thank You, RickScofield

#10 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:50 PM

Spiral,
Have you done any trials with your new focuser yet? I am really interested in these and have been talking to the folks that build and sell them and I am impressed with their attention to detail and the apparent quality of there products.PLEASE keep me posted.
Thank You, RickScofield

Not yet, still waiting on the weather..I was tempted tonight but its only a 4 outta 10 here..The weather is driving me nuts though!! I can tell you that the quality and detail are outstanding on these focusers.. :D

#11 RickScofield

RickScofield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:06 PM

Spiral,
Any word yet on your new focuser?

#12 spiral

spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:16 PM

Spiral,
Any word yet on your new focuser?

Yes, I finally got to put it through some testing last night..I was out until 4am this morning..I'm actually processing some shots now..

I had some motor fault code come up on my scope when I turned it on..After I checked and cleaned all connections, switched from my battery on my car to my power pack and cussed a little bit,  it was still giving me the motor fault code..I cut it off and on about 10 times and it finally worked..It worked flawless all night long even in the heavy dew..I checked it several times today and it boots up fine with no code..I still don't know exactly what the problem was..Maybe HC cord?

But, back to the focuser, It is just Awesome!! I could get precise focus so easy with no image shift which made it much easier to tell when it was actually in focus..I used my ES 82* 30mm and could not even tell it was on the focuser..Still butter smooth focus..I believe it has a 6lb lifting capacity...I screwed my Antares reducer in the focuser tube and took some shots..Before with the DSLR, I would spend a lot of time trying to get perfect focus..With the Moonlite it was so much easier and a lot less frustration..I would get it close to focus with the stock focuser, then fine tune with the Moonlite..Then when I got it in focus, I tightened the shaft lock and it stayed put without having to readjust the focus as I went from target to target..

With the tall flange for the reducer, I had to watch for it to bottom out between the forks if I was close to pointing straight up with the diagonal on, but I was aware of that when I purchased it..I would recommend this focuser to anyone that wants a precision focuser..Their is no slop in anything..It is built like a tank..I couldn't be happier with it and I don't see how you would ever wear one out..It should last a lifetime..I will post some pics shortly..

• RickScofield likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users